So Romans 9 is pretty tough. How do you reconcile it to 1 Timothy 2:4 and 2 Peter 3:9?

Romans 9:14-24

14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

By preserving biblical contexts.

"context" - "text" = "con"

Don;'t ignore the explanation in Rom 9

17 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, “I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you and to spread my fame throughout the earth.”[j] 18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

19 Well then, you might say, “Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven’t they simply done what he makes them do?”

20 No, don’t say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who created it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn’t he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into? 22 In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who are destined for destruction. 23 He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.

God shows his patience to all - but to those stouthearted individuals that refuse his loving rebukes, he eventually abandons. His patience is not without limits.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

GOD in His Divine Goodness , allows some of those who resist Him to Prosper, for the Sake of thier Family and Descendants...

13:24 He put another parable before them, 'The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.

13:25 While everybody was asleep his enemy came, sowed darnel all among the wheat, and made off.

13:26 When the new wheat sprouted and ripened, the darnel appeared as well.

13:27 The owner's servants went to him and said, "Sir, was it not good seed that you sowed in your field? If so, where does the darnel come from?"

13:28 "Some enemy has done this" he answered. And the servants said, "Do you want us to go and weed it out?"

13:29 But he said, "No, because when you weed out the darnel you might pull up the wheat with it.

13:30 Let them both grow till the harvest; and at harvest time I shall say to the reapers: First collect the darnel and tie it in bundles to be burnt, then gather the wheat into my barn."'

Source(s): The Jerusalem Bible...
  • Ron
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

You can take a passage from the Bible and represent it as meaning something, such as predestination. But if you take the complete Bible, you find that predestination is NOT an accurate teaching. God allows people to direct their own lives as to whether they will be good or bad. THAT is how 1 Timothy 2:4 comes into play. And he is patient with people. He does not destroy the wicked immediately. In harmony with 2 Peter 3:9.

When a person takes in accurate knowledge, they can make adjustments in their lives. Pharaoh could have made adjustments at any time throughout this ordeal recorded in the Scriptures. At any time throughout 10 plagues, he could have made adjustments, but he continued to be obstinate. And just as in his case, time does run out. God has a set time to bring an end to all wickedness. Once and for all. But Pharaoh was really stupid in thinking that after all those plagues, he could follow the Jews into the Red Sea and not be harmed. Free Bible lessons are offered online, in harmony with 1 Timothy 2:4, that will lead one to being "saved" as that Scripture indicates. ONLY if one is willing to make adjustments after considering the accurate knowledge from God. The free lessons are available without even asking for your email address. It is at:

www.jw.org

• 1 year ago

With the passages under consideration, it is helpful to outline them by subject and find out how they harmonize, blend and integrate. There are at least 2 or 3 verses which provide perspective before undertaking this effort: 2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:20-21.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

It is really very simple.

Those He chooses to use or to office are within His sovereign will as all of Scripture demonstrates.

All have opportunity for salvation, but from those who refuse, God may sovereignly choose any to harden in order to demonstrate His power and mercy for those who are being saved, as He did in the strategic case of Pharaoh, as explained in the text.

What's so difficult about that to understand?

It is kind of obvious, isn't it?

• Jeremy
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

The best solution is not to attempt to solve it. The best solution is to realize that the bible is the collected works of various mostly unknown human authors, not something that materialized out of thin air from an all knowing being. Some of these authors imagined a god to be an omni-benevolent being, while others an all powerful being wielding natural disasters, guiding the will of harsh rules, and even knowingly creating the devil himself to accomplish some grand machination.

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV) I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

The problem you're having is in starting with you conclusion and then trying to cut reality to make it conform to imagination. Once you stop looking at it through that lens, start by looking at reality, then allowing yourself to honestly say the bible doesn't line up, that it can have contradictions and imperfection and you don't have to constantly make excuses for that, then everything starts to make a bit more sense.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

A person can better know the true meanings of stories from the Bible by meditating on them while reciting the rosary each day with care.

• Ernest S
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

How come you have no understanding of the Bible? Is it because you dumb yourself with your mindless and blasphemous rosary?

• 1 year ago

God paid a very great price through Jesus Christ laying down His flesh life at the cross, rather than overriding the wills of those who rejected God's Law and allowed satan to work through them to crucify an Innocent Man. God's Law is against false witnesses, (Matthew 26:59-60 KJV) and against pre-meditated murder, (Deuteronomy 19 KJV and Exodus 20 KJV).

God has warned about the enemy in this world, described the tactics of the enemy, given instructions on how to overcome the enemy through faith in Him through Jesus Christ. If people reject all that, then they find out how cold the enemy is. God can hardly be blamed for what He warned that satan would do. God turns satan's evil rebellion to a greater good for God's will which is that no soul perishes. God will not override anyone's will. He does work through people who have invited Him into their lives and have asked that His will be done through them.

1 Corinthians 5:5 KJV To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

2 Timothy 2:24 KV And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

• Gelo
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Queue up: God only hardens the hearts of people who already have hard hearts.

That is ABSURD. If their hearts are already hard, no additional hardening would be required.

This scripture CLEARLY says God turns some people evil at his pleasure.

I'm glad that god doesn't exist.

Source(s): Oh Look, I'm a psychic.....someone beat me to it....
    • ...Show all comments
    • Ernest S
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

So Susie, are you claiming that God has turned you evil? The essence of sin is to deny sin or blame others, even God, for their sin when they cannot deny it. Anything but repentance. Refusal to repent stands self condemned in the eyes of all. Still cannot see your gross stupidity, Susie?

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

At the crux of it all is the fact that God partners with us in our decisions. He will have mercy on those who want it. He will harden the hearts of those who choose to harden their hearts against Him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.