Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 11 months ago

Mental illnesses among adults is caused by people in their life. Agree or Disagree?

It makes some sense to me. People who have mental breakdowns or end up snapping out of maturity is usually caused by somebody else in their life putting them on stress they cant handle. Example one, my girlfriend had a mental fall out when she was 17 after years of verbal abuse by her dad. She still takes medication from this day now. Example 2. I knew somebody else who had a mild learning disability, but his behavior was worse off when he dealt with more people at work and at home. But hes been in better check since he been living by himself being unemployed. He has less stress in his life. This is what makes me believe that some disabled people are just happier having less people depending on them. Cause some of them cant cope their stress as well as normal people

You may be confusing social anxiety with mental illness. Most mental illnesses exist from birth due to problems with the brain. Yes, those problems can be slow to appear, or mistaken for bad behavior, but that doesn't mean that the social aspect caused the illness.

Uhmm personally to me those don’t sound like true mental illnesses. A mental illness is something someone as absolutely no cognitive control

Over. I am a trauma nurse who works in the ER and have you ever seen a true schizophrenic? Someone who is talking to walls, trying to contact the FBI and others who believe worms are coming out of their head? People who believe the vents are blowing poison to kill them and people who truly believe bugs are underneath their skin to the point they drink mass amounts of water to try and wash them out? I’ve dealt with some truly sick patients and I can’t say it is caused by people in their lives.

However more mild mental illnesses I can see being caused by people. Most behavioral kids who come in are foster children living in group homes for example. Many teens with severe anger issues are also usually from group homes.

So to your question yes and no.

I doubt that very much as I have worked with them.

Am disabled myself and no one caused mine.

Your wrong to say that.

Source(s): Living with Dystonia.

Not always. Life events of all kinds can affect the way in which people think and react, but not all mental illness comes from outside the brain.

• Cogito

That's incorrect.

Yes, the actions or words of other people can adversely affect or positively improve someone's mental health, but mental illnesses are already in the person's brain.

Disagree. Brain chemistry.