Do you feel 50 miles is too far to drive to a $10/hr. job?

I'm going to be staying with my mom after she has major surgery and she lives 50 miles from my job. Her condition qualifies for me to take FMLA. Company policy is FMLA is unpaid but I can take 3 weeks of my vacation pay during my FMLA leave. My main concern is to collect on my vacation pay instead of just quitting and letting them keep my vacation pay. I know I can take up to 12 weeks of FMLA but what the boss is telling me is unless my mom needs me there 24/7 then I can stay at my mom's place at night and report for work during the day. He said he has other employees driving from a distance and I can do the same.

My boss is also talking like if I'm off for a week on FMLA, I'm expected to return for 30 days before they consider me to have returned. My boss also said If I don't return after taking vacation or FMLA, then they can bill me for their share of my insurance they paid while I was off. My work is trying to do everything they can to prevent me from taking 3 to 4 weeks off and collecting on my 3 weeks of vacation pay.

What I would like to do is say 50 miles is too far to drive to work every day but my boss said it's not.

They won't approve me for vacation time. The only way to collect on my 3 weeks of vacation time is to be off for 3 to 4 weeks of FMLA but my employer doesn't believe that I will need to stay with my mom 24/7 for 3 weeks. My only other option will be to flat out quit without notice and leave my vacation on the table. My plan is to get the doctor to say I need to stay with my mom for 3 weeks, then go back for 30 days and put in my 2 week notice after that. I will NOT drive 50 miles to work.

I spent a whole summer driving 80 miles for a $4/hr job while working my way through college.

Driving a 100 mile round trip 5 days a week for a $10.00 per hour job, NO WAY. If you soo valuable to the company why won't your boss offer you a raise to make the commute worth while?

"My work is trying to do everything they can to prevent me from taking 3 to 4 weeks off and collecting on my 3 weeks of vacation pay." No they're not. They're trying to avoid holding your job open for a month and paying your insurance only to discover that you aren't coming back.

They can't tell you how to use your FMLA.

You can user any and all accrued leave time you have to cover the FMLA absence.

Tell them you are taking 3 weeks, they are to supplement with your vacation time, and then you will return if that's what you want to do.

• Eva

50 miles each way is too far to drive. Look up the laws on FMLA in your state so that you know what your rights are. He is right about the insurance. You should have an employee handbook that explains in writing how the company handles vacation, FMLA, health insurance, and other benefits. It sounds like your best option would be to take 2 weeks of vacation. Your mom should be recovered enough by then to be on her own more, perhaps having a nurse's aide coming in for a couple of hours a day, and you could go there on the weekends and/or a night or two during the week.

• Tavy

Permenantly yes but for a short time then No. I drove 40 miles to work every day for years in the U.K.

Why ask strangers , you decide what you want to do. It's not for ever is it ?

It's more common than you think for people to be driving fair distances every day. Especially for very particular jobs. Does your job require you to be driving or do you just need to get there? My point being is there a train you can catch to cut the journey time?