Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts ยท 6 months ago

Do people actually believe that UFC is a martial art you learn?

Cause I got argument with some Algerian guy and he's like "I train UFC, I will whoop your ***". I just couldn't help it but laugh

He "trains UFC." This means that he rode on a train with the letters "U-F-C" stenciled onto the outside of one of the boxcars.

Who needs martial arts when you have a firearm or strength in numbers.

• JoKyoNim

And i been to places where you can not have a group of more than 8 and no baseball caps and certain clothing. It not always applicable, having numbers. And there are days when your homies are not going to be with you. Better to know something and not use it than being caught and not knowing anything

• Noah

wrestling, muaythai, boxing, judo and Brazilian juijitsu are martial arts

• That shows how little understanding there is among billions of people on Planet Earth that UFC is the World's Largest Mixed Martial Arts Promotion and not a Martial Art. We see that a lot in questions and answers in Yahoo Answers. As you know, Mixed Martial Arts can and does involve a number of different Combat Sports Disciplines.

Just look at the Q&A in this category. Too many people believe UFC is a martial art and they believe it is superior to traditional martial arts. Just look over the questions, and you will surely see some that say it is superior.

Some might and you also have to remember I think that you were talking to someone that as a foreigner might not have the ability to communicate as well and as accurately in English as they can in their native tongue. Having been to other countries I would sometimes encounter this in regards to martial and fighting arts and when discussing various aspects of them especially if the dialog was taking place in English.

Oh it's very common among casuals. Most people still don't know the term MMA even exists. I usually say "MMA/UFC" if I'm describing my status as a fan of the sport. I usually describe separate arts/combat sports when mentioning what I practice. It's a travesty considering how popular MMA has become.

Sadly it is common and is something I have to explain over and over to new people who come into our gym. We put MMA on our signs but it is not its own style. I say to them "if you want the full MMA experience you need to do both striking and the grappling classes. But you can only do one type if that is what you like."

• Steel

Some people genuinely do, but it is a misnomer. It would be akin to somebody playing football and stating "I do NFL". Chances are, if someone were to claim to train in "UFC", they are full of it - or else they literally mean they train in a UFC gym facility!

I wouldn't call it martial arts but its definitely a fighting style. Like boxing. UFC is basically boxing along with far more grapple moves, kicks etc.