I’ve been babysitting my friends baby and she has been paying me, a friend pointed out that I should be a childminder?

I’m not interested in being a childminder, I am doing it to help out a friend and she pays me cash in hand. Is this illegal as I’m panicking now and could I go to prison? I wouldn’t have done it if I thought it was I work 3 days a week and have her son 1 day a week for extra money. She prefers to pay me cash in hand and that suits me

• PAMELA

it is between you and the child's mother, nobody else's business.

You are fine, this is a non-issue.

• Sharon

there is a legal maxim called de minimus, basically if it is too small to bother with, don't bother. You seem to fit this perfectly

• `

Not enough information. What country are you talking about?

• Jenny

USA Einstein...it's an AMERICAN site. There's Yahoo Clever in Germany and various similar all over the world. Stop being such a twit.

• Tavy

Your friend is being silly. You are doing a friend a favour, the taxman is not interested in your cash one day a week.

• audrey

Don't over think this. You're just helping a friend.

• Alan

Never trust so-called friends with confidence. If she reports you then she is no friend of yours!

I suppose it depends on whether or not she will involve it when she does her taxes. If you're in the U.S. that is. I'm not sure how that works elsewhere.

You sick freak STOP IT BOBBY JOE

You can work a certain amount of hours before paying tax. Check with Inland Revenue. Don't end up like me getting a tax bill for £2,000, although I did get it all back 18 months later. Best to be on the right side.