Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 6 months ago

As these now ‘minor royals’ decided to move house, should they not have paid for the refurbishment?

Who said Meghan markle was a breath of fresh air?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/frogmore-cot...

Update:

Dayton, why should illegal immigrants from grenfell live in Britain at all?

Update 2:

@ no Dayton - Most were illegal immigrants granted ‘amnesty’ hardly the same as immigrants who are here legally Dayton, married legally to british people. You seem a tad more confused today.

Update 3:

Not so anon, 2.4 mill of tax payers money.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48746609

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well I didn't say it, because I've always considered that she's very like the Duchess of Windsor was with Edward VIII. Destined to control Harry with a rod of iron. Pussy-whip him in fact. But regardless the public has no option but to put a proportion of its taxes towards the upkeep of royal residences. It's just especially galling to be paying to keep a second rate American actress under a luxurious roof.

• 6 months ago

Wherever the money came from (if other than the couple who will inhabit that property), it's still a HUGE sum of money for a couple and a baby, plus their staff, presumably, to be paying for a property which was obviously neglected for years other than kept as premises for others to occupy. Who needs 10 bedrooms, a gym, a meditation room (maybe a nursery and a room for a nanny). In these times of hardship up and down the country, it doesn't sit well for most people. Mind you I doubt there's a person living who wouldn't grab it if it's there to be grabbed!!

I hope the place continues to make them happy!!

• Clo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They are paying for some of the work. Interiors are what they pay to do. The basic structure, the electricity, basic plumbing are part of the historic houses agreement.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Whoops.

"The total Sovereign Grant for 2018-19, including the dedicated amount for Reservicing, amounted to £82.2m (2017-18 £76.1m), equivalent to £1.24 per person in the UK"

Yet the refurbishment cost 2.4 million clams

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No new public money was raised for that purpose. Even so the Royal extended family is much too big and should have taxation on their estate revenues increased.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The renovation of Frogmore Cottage was paid out of the Sovereign Grant. This is money raised by the Crown Estate Commissioners on property owned by the Sovereign (which includes Frogmore Cottage) and is nothing to do with the taxpayer. The Queen decides how the SG is spent. Anything unspent goes to the Royal Reserve Fund, not the taxpayer.

You can't expect biased media like the Mail, Mirror or the BBC to understand such things. Or to report that the Queen contributes £200 million + to the Treasury each year. That doesn't play well with the politics of envy.

• Biff
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

It isn't just the BBC and Mirror referring to "taxpayers' millions". The Mail is saying the same. The BBC did make it clear the money came from the Sovereign Grant and that taxpayers would only lose out because the unspent residue from the grant that goes to the exchequer was £2.4m less.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The taxpayers are being ripped off again. Time for the Royal Family to work and stop leaching of the drones.

BBC News - Harry and Meghan's home renovations cost taxpayers £2.4m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48746609

• 6 months ago

the VAT raised on all the poxy Royal Wedding tea towels and "commemorative" trash, hotels stays, meals bought etc etc could easily pay for all their luxuries but I still find the whole load of em intensely boring and pointless.

• Dayton
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If it's a public building then Jeremy will be able to sort it out.

Spare rooms can be given over to the homeless, Grenfell victims for example.

>> They won't be illegal immigrants, they will be immigrants the same as Meghan and Prince Philip

>> so when their status was clarified it was determined that they were no longer 'illegal' immigrants.

>>It was the government that decided that the immigrants could live here, you'd have to ask them.

Source(s): Jeremy Corbyn obviously, not Hhhunt
    • Dayton
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Hi. I'm very well thanks - hope you are well.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Disgraceful, time for a republic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.