I've joined a singing group and one of the other singers wrote on my music...?

Okay, it's not a big deal. Or it is? I offered to share my music because he hadn't brought his to rehearsal. Then, after making some halfhearted grabs at my pencil, he took it and said "I'm sorry but I have to make notes" before scribbling on my music.

I really hate this because, basically, I have my own system.

Thoughts?

• Zol
    Favorite Answer

That was rude of him. He should have asked before defacing YOUR music.

In that situation I'd have said (loud enough for everyone to hear), something like 'HEY, that's MY music, mark your own when you bring it, NOT mine!!

Then I'd have taken my music back off him & said if that's how you treat me I'm not sharing with you any more, find someone else!

Is he assuming your music is now his? Or is he assuming a superior status over & above you, a sort of 'what's yours is mine' entitled kind of attitude.

If you can't or don't want to confront him yourself I suggest making a strong complaint to the leader of that group.

• The person who introduced me to the performance group told me she sees nothing wrong with it. I even told her how the same individual tried to use me as a taxi service (basically told me I'd pick him up from other side of city and drive him into rehearsal). Needless to say, THAT didn't happen.

He should not have done that. What did he write?

Erase what he wrote. Next rehearsal, REFUSE to share with him. If he is unprepared, that is HIS problem. If his music is truly lost, he could Xerox someone's in the presence of another - NOT YOU! As a professional chamber music business owner for decades, I kept the originals and scanned/emailed everyone their part. A person STILL would show up without - meaning they had not printed it out, practiced - and that I would never call then for a gig again. Good work habits beats out "talent" 7 days a week.

He infringed your personal space, stole your pencil and defaced your music. If true then he's a control freak as a friend and an even bigger jerk as a stranger.