Pilots, especially from low income backgrounds, how did you fund your training?

I am 26 from London and I have always liked the idea of being a Pilot. For the last 5-6 years, I have been very unwise with my financial and life choices. Despite getting a good degree in business and not being in any financial strain, I still live with my parents as moving out would mean I would have no money. I work in a low income job that allows me to save a little per month but at this rate I will not be able to save a significant amount of money at all. I am now single after a 5 year relationship so I am pretty much in control of my life and finances now. I am just wondering what your views on this could be. It is expensive and I don't want to waste time not following my passion. I am ready to fully commit. If I get a better paid job to fund the training, then it will take up most of my time. Along with other life commitments. I have heard it is cheaper abroad.

British Airways used to have a scheme where, if you qualify, you get a loan which is paid off when you start working (much like a standard student loan) - so worth seeing if that's an option.

Otherwise; it's a huge financial commitment, and doesn't actually come with a guarantee of work (a friend's a pilot; others he trained with have never found employment)

You sound like a bit of a dreamer. You say you will have no money if you leave your parent's home, but you are 'in control of your life now'. I don't think so! You are leaping far too far ahead. One step at a time. You have a degree, so up your game. Then get yourself some independent living, even a bedsit. And then research what it will take and what it will cost in any location you like, to become a pilot. And I should warn you that there are more pilots than pilot's jobs. I know several who spent time doing two and three degrees whilst trying to become established commercial pilots.

You are only 26. Why not do a spell in the RAF and try to get in as a potential pilot? Or the army and stick with helicopters. Gain a skill that's transferrable to civilian life within a moderate amount of time. But it's tough, and I'm not sure that dreamers could cope with the strain of military training.