Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

When should I tell a potential employer about my criminal history?

I may be offered a job soon, but I am pretty certain that it will be contingent on passing a background check. In my state, employers are allowed to ask about both misdemeanors and felonies.

I was charged with theft almost four years ago because I bought stolen property. I was offered ARD, but could not pay the fines in time, so only recently closed the case out by pleading no contest. The job I applied and interviewed for is a cashier job, so it is related.

I know what I am going to say when asked the question, but I don't know when it is appropriate to tell them. If they contact me and tell me I have the job contingent on passing a background check, should I tell the manager over the phone or should I wait until I fill out the background check form and then disclose it by answering the question on the form (since the background check forms usually ask)?

Please help! This is the first job I've applied to since the conviction hit my record!

Favorite Answer

Tell them if they say it's contingent on the check,. The earlier you tell them the better. Don't let them find it on their own.

Just tell the truth. You bought stolen property from someone you foolishly trusted. You learned your lesson

• Eva

Wait until you fill out the form. Understand that it is very unlikely that you will be able to get a job anywhere that involves handling money.

• `

It's always better to be open and honest with the potential employer.

The background check will expose you as a thief and no employer is going to hire a thief.

@Chloe - I did answer your question. You just don't want to hear the truth. When an employer sees that you were convicted of theft they're not going to hire you. Especially if your going to be handling money. They won't listen to your excuses.

• Chloe5 months agoReport

Just wanted to let you know I start the job you said I wouldn't get on Monday! Oh, and it's the first job I applied for during THIS job search. So, if anyone reads this who has a similar issue, don't listen to this fool.