Should a person [Read Details] have to prove [somehow] that they can safely drive a 1,000 hp car?

QUESTION - Should a person have to prove [somehow] that they can safely drive a 1,000 hp hyper-car? [Let alone the 700+ cars that are out now] You can get your driver's license by proving that you can safely drive a 58 hp GEO Metro and the very next day pick up the keys to your new 1,000 hp all electric Lotus. It just doesn't seem right somehow. What do YOU think?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You would think so.

Unfortunately people are handed drivers licenses who have no business being behind the wheel of that Metro - much less a 1,000HP beast.

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You don't have to always go out full-bore, in any vehicle in normal driving. Sure, the potential for being a danger to other traffic and yourself is higher when you have seriously more power than them, but it doesn't negate that you know how to drive safely in traffic and pass a test to prove it. Living in the city, there's very rarely a time and place I could use 1000 HP, but with good judgement I still could safely drive it. Is there a law telling you you need to be specially licensed to drive a 1000 HP vehicle? I've never heard of that.

• 6 months ago

Just like when you're taking your driving exam for a license, you'd do everything right and observe all the rules and regulations, so what's the point?

I like watching youtube videos of guys showing off for a crowd and crashing their expensive, hot cars.

• Trump 2020
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You missed my point. If you're trying to prove your ability, of course you're going to drive carefully. You wont be driving the same as when you're all alone,

• 6 months ago

At present there are not graduated licenses for "top speed" and we all have the same speed limits. It is not the horsepower but the speed that requires additional training. Take the "open road challenges" where there are graduated competition licenses for maximum speed the driver is allowed to drive.

For what it is worth the interstate system was supposed to become a highway that would allow drivers to drive at 120 miles per hour. The simple fact is most drivers are not even safe a 35 mph.

What I am saying is at 70 mph a 1000 HP car is no more dangerous for a driver then a 50 HP car doing 70 mph.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

A 1000 horsepower car requires the same skills as driving a 100 horsepower car. The difference is the self-discipline of the driver.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Every one can control their ankles and their urges. 10 HP or 1Million HP.

Proving they can drive safely? Can only be proven when they die of OLD AGE without an accident.

• 6 months ago

If you can handle a 50HP car, you can handle a 1000 HP car. The only differences are acceleration rates and top speed.

Whether you're in that Geo Metro or a McLaren 720S, the principles of driving and the rules of the road are exactly the same. A 2003 Camry can kill just as many people as a 2019 Challenger Hellcat, and it can do it just as easily. Since less than 1% of all collisions are the result of mechanical failures, it doesn't really matter what someone is driving when an accident happens. The big factor isn't what you're driving, it's how you're driving it.

When guys (and it's almost always guys) crash in really powerful cars, it's usually because they were abusing the power. They often lose control while taking turns too fast, or while trying to accelerate too quickly. But those idiots would most likely have done the same thing if they were in a 2003 Camry, so the vehicle makes little difference.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.