65 year old woman at work keeps jumping in when not asked?

She has been here for 10 years, I've been here for 4 years and a newcomer; 2 months. We're all audio typists. We try to help each other whenever we can't decipher the dictation. The newcomer will often ask me to help (as I used to work for her boss and I'm used to his accent on the dictation), but when the newcomer calls me to see if I can understand what he's said, this 65 year old races over instead! It's like only she knows better. Then afterwards the newcomer calls me over anyway as I usually get what he's saying. Why would this 65 year old keep jumping in when it's me who's called over to the newcomer's desk?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Because. She. HAS. BEEN. THERE. 10 YEARS.

Get over it and be nice. Chances are VERY EXCELLENT that she will take retirement by the time she is 67 (2 more years)

and then -

YOU ...YOU

YOU!!!!!

WILL be the boss of that department!.

BTW if you are nice to her and defer to her...she will more than likely tell the boss to give you a raise when she hands in her resignation.

Be nice...I cannot stress that enough.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You, toots, will not last long in the work world.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

What the heck is your problem? She has seniority and wants to help so freaking let her.

Jesus. Your pay does not change.

• 5 months ago

If this isn't affecting your ego what exactly is the problem? Unless she isn't being of useful help to them? If she isn't tell her in a kind way that you are asked because you can understand them better. She's likely just trying to prove her worth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

She's old and needs to feel important/relevant. When I run into people like that I think, That's just the way they are, then smile and move on. (But I know it can still be annoying)

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

She's an old bag who wants people to think she's not past it yet. Let her have her glory. She's getting old and has nothing else in life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.