Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 5 months ago

"There are lots of people here." Can I use both "here" and "there" in one sentence?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

yes, because "there are" has a fairly unique meaning that really has nothing to do with place. You can even say there are many people over there by the door (as an example).

• RP
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, because "there" does not refer to location, but is merely a word to introduce the main thought, like there is or there are (whatever) whereas "here" does refer to where those people are situated (namely, here as opposed to elsewhere or some place else).

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Of course you can. The "there" in "there are" has a different meaning than the "there" in "here and there" but in either case I have no idea why you think the two words can't be used in the same sentence.

• 5 months ago

Yes. 15 characters.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Yes but you have to separate them by at least three pronouns

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

There are lots of people here (where we are) and there (I point at somewhere else). So, yeah.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes. They are doing different things. (There is a pronoun, here is an adverb)

But even if they weren't: "To be here, there and everywhere," as Paul McCartney used to sing - although let's not forget his immortal "In this ever changing world in which we live in" so possibly not the best authority on grammar. But that is neither here nor there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.