Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Question for parents that are against spanking?

If you lived about 500 years ago instead of now then would you spank then? Reason I'm asking is that in modern times I believe there is zero excuse for spanking a child. Today you can take away their phone, video games or toys. But that wasn't an option in the olden days. Plus children being naughty in the olden days could get them killed. So I believe 500 years ago parents had an excuse that they don't have now.

So yes I would spank if I was born 500 years earlier. But in modern times there are far better ways to discipline without spanking. I prefer it this way because violence is wrong.

Favorite Answer

Like you said, the answer can change. Societal expectations are a big influence on our behavior. Even so, you best believe I would shove my kid into concrete if it meant them dodging a bullet.

Everything is circumstantial.

Spanking is not just morally bad (because violence is wrong)! There are studies that say child rearing can psychologically damage that child, and cause lots of behavioral and cognitive issues later in life.

I'm against the use of punishment. I'm more for being positive

• Hannah

Well, you could still take away privileges other than electronics. And I've heard of kids in the old days being made to "stand in the corner". Pretty much the same as a "time out", it's just that there wasn't a cutesy name for it back then. But obviously, corporal punishment was more common back before we knew much about child development and before a lot of kids really had many privileges that could be lost, although there still were other methods that parents likely used as well. I actually read that Laura Ingalls Wilder didn't believe in spanking or whipping her daughter Rose. She was particularly traumatized by a whipping her father gave her as a child (ironically, it was for hitting her older sister), so she decided that she wasn't going to use corporal punishment on her own child. Obviously that was pretty progressive for her time, and was the exception rather than the norm, but I guess there probably have always been parents who choose not to spank their children.

All kids need to be spanked. KIds who are spanked grow into better people while kids who are not spanked grow into spoiled brats

• mokrie

Yes, your version of discipline has been around for a while now. And we have the most selfish, self involved generations that have no empathy and exist only for ME ME ME. They also suffer from more depression then ever before and often cut themselves and self medicate. So your wonderful plan sucks compared to a few good smacks on the butt.

I’d like to spank you but first I think I’ll spank my monkey.

• Liar

I'd just send my kids to die in whatever war was going on with the French.