Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 6 months ago

Is the balcony regarded as indoors or outdoors? This question may look stupid but please answer me because I don't know the exact answer...?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A balcony is considered an outdoor area because it is exposed to the elements and it is not enclosed. Even if it was screened it, it is not included in the square footage of the inside space because the balcony is not temperature controlled and therefore is not part of the living space.

Howsoever, that does not mean that the balcony is not included in the total square footage of the living space as a whole when speaking in real estate terms.

• 6 months ago

For purpose of NFPA 101 Life Safety Code®, it would be considered outdoors (exterior) unless at least half of the side away from the building were enclosed, i.e., trapping smoke and fire "inside" during an evacuation.

• 6 months ago

outdoors! A non living space!

• 6 months ago

Strangely enough it's not that strange a question. For official square foot real estate calculations this can vary depending on the location. Most places would consider it part of the interior square footage although it's outdoors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • chris
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Is it "inside" the door, or "Outside" the door?

Indoors is defined as "Inside a building"! (presumably "with doors")

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its outside the walls of the house, so outdoors.

• Satan
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its outdoors until you decide to build a wall and roof around it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Outdoors for most purposes. If it is fully enclosed (some are) it becomes debatable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.