ZMAN asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

Can you tell the difference between elegant and sissy of a man's manner? :-)?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Elegant is stylish and tasteful. Sissy is effeminate. Real men don't do style is where the idea of elegant can cross into effeminate. That is, elegance to one segment of society can be seen as sissy to another. No lumberjack would be caught dead dressed elegantly. Too sissy.

• 6 months ago

Thank you for all your answers,esp.Cara~ :-)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

"Elegant" refers to a person's appearance, including manner of dress, whereas "sissy" tends to mean cowardly.

• RP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Sure, and I think anyone could. Generally, elegant is a positive that would cause others to admire someone or look upon him (or her) with favor whereas being a sissy is not a desirable image for a man.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cara
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A meaningless question, as it depends on your own assessment and understanding of the words. A man might dress in a well-fitting suit and be labelled by another man as a sissy, whereas a third man might simply describe him as elegant.

• Cara
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I can think of a type who might describe that as a sissy look! And I'm interested in (and pleased with) the renaissance of the word "sissy" - which I've hardly heard in 60 years!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.