ZMAN asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 6 months ago

Can you tell the difference between elegant and sissy of a man's manner? :-)?

Favorite Answer

Elegant is stylish and tasteful. Sissy is effeminate. Real men don't do style is where the idea of elegant can cross into effeminate. That is, elegance to one segment of society can be seen as sissy to another. No lumberjack would be caught dead dressed elegantly. Too sissy.

Thank you for all your answers,esp.Cara~ :-)

"Elegant" refers to a person's appearance, including manner of dress, whereas "sissy" tends to mean cowardly.

• RP

Sure, and I think anyone could. Generally, elegant is a positive that would cause others to admire someone or look upon him (or her) with favor whereas being a sissy is not a desirable image for a man.

• Cara

A meaningless question, as it depends on your own assessment and understanding of the words. A man might dress in a well-fitting suit and be labelled by another man as a sissy, whereas a third man might simply describe him as elegant.

• Cara

I can think of a type who might describe that as a sissy look! And I'm interested in (and pleased with) the renaissance of the word "sissy" - which I've hardly heard in 60 years!