Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 6 months ago

Can’t poop after colonoscopy?

Around 7 days ago I had a colonoscopy (picolax for bowel prep). Last time I had one it took me 4 days to go toilet again. I find it unusual that it’s been a week and I still haven’t gone toilet. Is this odd?

Favorite Answer

The gut will temporarily stop functioning (a condition known as ileus). That can take something like 3-6 days to settle down. After surgery it took me three weeks, and I needed continual IV fluids to prevent dehydration. Suggest you tell your doctor to be on the safe side.

Take a docusate (stool softener) for a safe overnight solution. These are safe to use all the time.

Call you doc just to be safe, and do what they say to do.

Seven days is a long time. The first BM or so might be a tough one (constipation; excessive dewatering in the gut). Depends somewhat on what and how much you have been eating. Might have been better advised to have a higher fiber load in your diet during return to normal. Bit late now.

In the next few days you will be full of it again.

Have fun passin the champagne bottle sized turd that’s building up.

no they prepared you by giving you a complete blowel flush and had you not eat for so many hours right ?