Buying a refurbished/renewed Motherboard? Good idea or bad idea?

I saw this amazing motherboard that’s half price of its original price but it’s renewed/refurbished. The description clearly states that a user of this item returns it with no visible wears or tears, get checked and fixed by professionals, and then shipped as like new. Good idea to buy it, or no?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Fulano
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

For me, it depends on how expensive the part is.

The big downside for most refurbished parts is they usually only have a 30 day warranty, vs several year warranty of a new part.

So if it's cheap enough that I won't mind buying a replacement part when it dies, then yes, I'd get a refurbished one, provided it's coming from a trustworthy store and the part still has good reviews.

• 1 year ago

I've bought renewed and open box motherboards in the past and I've had mixed results. The open box boards are tempting and if they work then they can be a great value. Sometimes the original purchaser of the motherboard forgets to remove the Windows 10 product key from the board they're returning and that's a bonus for you.

Based on past experiences, I figure it to be this way with Open Box boards...... there is usually a problem that eludes the technicians at newegg, asus, amazon, etc because they don't perform a comprehensive test. It seems that all they do is hook the board up to see if it works. If it works then they relist the board in the Open Box section. These so called Professionals that test the returned equipment are usually low level (lvl2) technicians.

With the refurbished boards, they sometimes miss the problem or a new problem pops up. With most of the refurbished products I've ever bought, the product breaks within 3 weeks to 9 months but sometimes I find a winner.

I've had good luck with 2nd hand boards.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Refurbished items are usually items that are purchased "as is" meaning they have problems but the seller won't tell you what the problems are.

• 1 year ago

It's fine, it is much cheaper.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

With a guaranteed return, postage is a consideration.

Why was it returned?

The seller probably did not electrically test it.

Also, beware of cpu match. Bios could be out of date.

It depends upon the total price and the total price of the system you build.

There is still risk, but it is still under manufacturer's warranty.

Also, "original price" at even half-off may not be that great a deal.

It takes a lot of specifics before I jumped on a returned motherboard.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.