nt
nt asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Does an indoor outdoor mostly feral cat go away to die?

I cannot remember how long I have had this cat. 8-10 years. She had 4 kittens, 2 died, 2 are still with me. They come in at night during the winter and mostly stay out during good weather but they all come around for food. Well, the mama cat has been going for about 2 days now and that has not happened in some time.

It did happen a few months ago but for some reason, I have a bad feeling this time. But her grown kids are not acting like they know anything.

I don't think there are a ton of predators in the area. So I would be very surprised if something got her.

Good news. She is back and seems fine after being missing for 3+ days.

• Ocimom

When you have cats that go outside, they are at risk for getting poisoned, hurt or killed or picked up and taken by someone to a shelter. If you value your cats, you will keep them inside where they belong.

Likely your cat either is dead by now or if she is not spayed, she is out with tom cats.

• nt

Its not my cat idiot. It was hungry so I started feeding it. Jerk. It was not poisoned, or taken to a shelter.

• J C

Cats do not "go off to die". They will hide if ill or injured, but we lie to ourselves and say they "ran away" or "went off to die". She died because she was ill and you did not take her to the vet, or she met a bad end and could not come home. Did you bother calling the local shelters when she disappeared? Cats are generally held for 3-5 days and then euthanized. Did you bother asking the neighbors if they had seen her? The cold hard truth is that your cat did not come back because she's dead, either from illness, accident, or being taken to animal control.

"But her grown kids are not acting like they know anything". Seriously? Do you think she told them where she was going? Are these cats spayed/neutered? Do the responsible thing and look for your cat, and get the remaining kittens spayed/neutered/vaccinated/microchipped like a responsible person would do.

Animals may hide when they are sick or injured.

You could try simmering some wild caught salmon in broth with all the doors and windows open, this usually brings every cat in my neighborhood to my deck. I learned this making pet food, I use salmon heads. MUST be wild caught, oiler and smellier than farmed.

Cats don't "go off to die". They just DIE because you're too uncaring to keep them indoors where they belong. You even let her KITTENS die - WTF?

• ZotsRule

Oh that makes it better that they died one at a time. That makes it WORSE because you didn't get them to an effing vet!

Outdoor cats live shorter lives on average, due mostly to predators and getting caught in traffic. An animal who has disappeared from the area MAY be dead, but this is not a hard and fast rule. I know one guy who's cat came back after almost a year.

I had a feral cat who lived 17 years. Even the vet was amazed. We tried to bring her in, many times. But she would have none of it. I created a place for her in my shed, she could come and go as she wanted. Even when it got too difficult to go up the ramp into the shed, she stayed in the area. I worried constantly about teenagers speeding down the street or predators (we were a semi suburban area. I had raccoons, nutria, rabbits and deer show up all the time.)

so, again, just because she's gone, doesn't mean she had gone away to die.

Most outdoor animals, especially cats, will leave their typical living area to pass away. Of course they also leave for long periods of time in general, if you really think it’s been too long for usual then yes the animal might be dead