Is driving with no brake fluid bad?

So recently I had a car problem and my brake line snapped and started leaking after I sort of braked hard. Eventually I realized I had no more brake fluid in my master cylinder while I was on the highway! Crazy! I know but I still made it home safely. Anyways the auto shop is about two miles from me. Should I drive there in the same condition? I honestly don't want to pay for a tow truck since its close by. I'm kind of broke at the moment so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

39 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Very much so, so do not. Get it towed to the shop.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Not bad at all, just down right stupid! Hope your life insurance is paid up, because if you don't kill some one you will most likely kill your self, FOOL!

• 6 months ago

Only if you want to stop.

• arther
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Will your insurance pay if you run into someone while your vehicle has no brakes?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Take a vice grip and pinch, fold and crimp the broken break line. Now refill the reservoir. You should be able to get back some brakes. The only way I would drive with just the E-brake would be in the emergency lane at 5 mph. However, it would not be the first time that's been done.

• 6 months ago

yes are you trying to die!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get that **** checkedddd

• 6 months ago

Yeah make sure you get that fluid in there. Super duper important!

• 6 months ago

If the brake reservoir gets empty you'll lose all brakes and crash. Fill the reservoir with brake fluid before trying to drive to the mechanic.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • don r
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You didn't make it home safely. Your luck got you home, and a good parking brake. It would be best for you to tow the car to the shop, though the hand brake can stop the car is driven slowly. All you need is for a fool to cut you off and you crash. A burst brake line will render the hydraulic brake absolutely useless.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No brake fluid = no brakes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.