Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

What coating should I use to fry boneless skinless chicken breasts?

How can I get boneless skinless chicken breasts to turn out crispy , fried in the skillet?

• denise
    Favorite Answer

Dusted with flour, dipped in beaten egg, then coated in Panko breadcrumbs with grated parmesan & herbs added, makes chicken tasty & crunchy.

• IvaB

Without skin on the chicken,you'll have a heck of a time getting that crispy,so you need to add something that will crisp up.I suggest crushing some corn flakes,make a breading station,and fry/bake the chicken.

Stir together flour, tarragon, salt, ginger, pepper, mustard powder, thyme, garlic powder, and oregano in a shallow bowl until well blended. Beat the egg together with the milk until smooth in a bowl. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, shake off excess, then dip in egg, and again in flour. Set breasts aside to rest for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the chicken breasts in flour again, and shake off excess. Brown the chicken in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Place onto a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 20 to 30 minutes.

Pound and marinate the chicken first in half and half, mustard and spices for at least 2 hours. there after, I mix panko bread with some rice flour, little salt, pepper and coat the chicken with it. Let it rest it in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour , and fry in medium heat little oil until golden. if you would like to serve with a roux, scrape the pan with a little of white wine and chicken broth> i usually serve with rice pilaf and veggies,

You mean breaded? I've perfected the method of first dip it in half and half, then in whole wheat flour. Now dip that in whipped egg, then in breadcrumbs you season as desired. Cover about halfway with vegetable oil and cook on med to med-high heat. Skillet shallow frying is a little of a pain in the a-- because you have to watch it. Suffice to say, watch it. Make sure it doesn't burn. If it starts, lower the heat. It really becomes a bit of a skill, like the technically perfect but soulless drummer on my block is missing.

A batter works best if you aren't going to leave the skin on.

• Clive

The classic is to pané them - dip in seasoned flour, then beaten egg, then white breadcrumbs. Slightly stale breadcrumbs will crisp better. A messy fiddle, I know, but each layer helps the next to stick.

It also helps to bash them out flat first. If they're thin, they cook faster and will cook all the way through before the breadcrumbs get overcooked and burnt. It's also easier than trying to fry something round! Now you just have two sides to fry, do one side until golden (2-3 minutes should do it), turn over, same again. So start by taking a rolling pin and work out your frustrations on the breasts until they are twice the size and much thinner, pané, and fry in hot butter with a little oil to stop the butter burning.

Basically this is how to make Wiener Schnitzel except you're doing it with chicken instead of veal escalopes. So it's tried and tested and ought to work. In Austria and Germany it's served with all kinds of sauces, mushroom sauce, tomato sauce... or there is my German ex-bf's favourite way, just served plain with a rocket (arugula) salad tossed in vinaigrette dressing.

Panko. The trick to good crispy panko is wet-dry-wet-dry.

So ... the chicken breasts are wet, you dredge them in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then in panko.

Be sure your oil (I like clarified butter for this) is hot enough, you want it sizzling right away so it doesn’t absorb much oil but not smoking and popping.

I like to cut my chicken breast into “fingers” it helps to partially freeze them first, then panko them as described above, cook them til crispy and serve with a dish of Seriously Bone Suckin’ sauce for dipping.

Once your “fingers” are breaked they can be covered and frozen and then cooked straight from frozen if they are thin enough, I usually have about finger sized fingers.

To get them crispy, you need to make them a uniform thickness. Butterfly the breasts (cut them at center height most of the way through and fold the top over) then pound them with a mallet to1/4 inch thick. Dip the breasts in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg, then in panko bread crumbs (you can also use a second coating of flour or even corn flakes). Heat a griddle or a large skillet with a good amount of fat. When it's medium high, drop in the chicken. When it's golden on one side, flip it and cook the other side to match. When you have finished, put the chicken in the oven at 200° to stay hot, and pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of fat. Add two tablespoons of flour, and cook until it just begins to brown. Add a cup of milk and work the milk into the roux. Scrape up all the tasty bits from the bottom of the cook surface. As the gravy thickens, add more milk until the desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper. Serve as a side with the chicken and maybe with mashed potatoes.

• oikoσ

Dip first in flour, then in beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs. You can mix seasoning with either of the dry coatings.