Is it wrong for a poor person to expect a rich person to pay them for their work?

I used to have two elderly millionaire brothers as neighbors who lived together. They hired me to take their dumpster to the road every week. The friendly one was always happy to pay me $20 a month. He was a very nice man. But then he passed away. I continued to take the dumpster to the road for his brother, who is... show more I used to have two elderly millionaire brothers as neighbors who lived together. They hired me to take their dumpster to the road every week. The friendly one was always happy to pay me $20 a month. He was a very nice man. But then he passed away. I continued to take the dumpster to the road for his brother, who is even older. He wouldn’t answer his door when I came to collect. After 3 months, I sent him a bill in the mail. I got a letter from him saying “My brother paid you for your work out of the goodness of his heart. Neighbors are supposed to help neighbors! He even let you use our can when yours was too full because you’re such wasteful slobs! You owe us!”

Funny how “neighbors are supposed to help neighbors” even though allowing me to use his dumpster once or twice after taking it to the road was the only “help” they ever gave us in the 20 years we had them as neighbors. I didn’t use it every week, maybe once or twice, and they only had one shopping bag of garbage every week.
Update: @ Jenny, I was a pallbearer at his funeral.