Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 months ago

Is this normal?

I took my teen son to the doctor for a year check up and they were going to through his chart and must have seen that he is uncircumcised. They asked to look at his penis and he was fine with it and they asked him if he pulled back his foreskin to wash under it and he said no. When they looked at it they diagnosed him with phimosis because his foreskin won’t retract. They could see enough inside and they said it’s full of smegma and suggested a circumsicion. What would you do? Should I wait a few years?

• patty
    Favorite Answer

i have seen guys on this site get upset that they were circumcised so maybe leave the decision up to him so he won't be angry with u down the line,

• ron h

I would be upset if I had not been circ'd as an infant. As far as rejecting medical advice? Are you sure you're qualified to do that?

Tell them to keep their knives away from boys' private parts.

• Marla

If the foreskin will not retract behind the glans when flaccid, it is very tight. That is the likely reason they recommend the circumcision.

The alternative would be for him to pull it back every day as much as possible to stretch it, using baby oil to help, and to wash it afterwards with soap and water to remove the smegma. The only risk is that he could have an episode of paraphimosis. With erection, the glans ends trapped behind the tight foreskin, with risk of it dying from inadequate blood flow. It requires an emergency circumcision.

This case shows why parents need to conquer the fear of teaching their sons proper penis hygiene when they bathe them. The child should be taught to pull back the foreskin and wash, and that over time, the glans will detach and appear, the foreskin eventually gliding easily over it, and if not, to gradually stretch it. It should be checked that the child does it every time he bathes, so that he does it routinely by the time he bathes alone.

• ron h

If he's old enough for smegma, he's too old for a pediatrician to circ him. Call a pediatric urologist for an appointment to discuss this. I hope that he will talk to his father about this. There's a couple of things in the question that make me wonder if this is a legit question or someone with a young dick fantasy. If it's fantasy, don't try to make it real....

it isn't normal

• Fred

I think you should discuss it with your son and see if he wants it done now or to do it in a few years time. Be aware uncircumcised males who do not keep their under foreskin clean are susceptible to penile cancer. I would ask my son to please have it done now.

• kelvin

no it isn't normal and they should of offered him some cream instead

not having him circumcised was a disservice

Get him circumcised, he should have been peeling back and cleaning properly. That could lead to an infection and if they're suggesting a circumcision is for preventative measures.

• Rick B

That is precisely why all the men in my family are circumcised.