Can I reapply to a college that I rejected ?

So I got accepted into this one college that at first, I wasn’t interested in. On May first I sent them an email saying that I wanted to go to a different college. Now that I have given it much thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t want to go to the college that I accepted. How do I let the college that I accepted down and go to the one that I rejected? Can I just reapply to that college and see if they’ll accept me again or email them and talk to them since they’ve accepted me before? They’re taking applications now before the fall semester begins.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't reapply. First, you need to call the admissions office and speak with a live person about whether or not you can now accept their offer of admission for fall 2019. As others noted, universities generally fill their enrollment by offering open spots to other students on waitlists. Each university is different so you have to speak with them about their process and if there is still a chance for you to attend.

If that is possible, you do what you need to do to accept, pay your fees, get housing, etc. You also contact the university to which you will no longer be going and they them know. Again, depending of the timing and the school, you may or may not be on the hook for some fees. You generally won't be liable for tuition if you haven't actually registered for classes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Often, if the school still has spots available, they may let you attend without having to reapply. You'll need to contact admissions directly and ask if you can still attend. You also need to ask them if any of the financial aid they'd originally given to you is still available to you. Even if they have a spot for you, they might not still have money for you. They may have given that aid to another student, so ask.

Ask all these questions of your preferred uni before you contact your less desired uni. Don't give away your spot at your #2 college before you know you're in at the #1 school, and can afford to attend it.

If you find out you can attend your #1 college and can pay for it, you then contact your #2 college and let them know you won't be attending. There may be paperwork you must fill out, so ask about that. You will lose any deposits you've already paid them. But that's it.

• drip
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Call the admissions office and talk to them direct.

Chances are they eliminated your application since you told them you were not going to attend, so you may need to reapply. Be sure to ask them.

• 7 months ago

They've given your spot to someone else. You burned that bridge.

• drip
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

If they are still accepting applications “spots” can still be available.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Can you call and ask them if your spot is still available? It all depends on if they already gave your spot away. I would call first thing tomorrow. You might not need to reapply. Ask them for guidance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.