Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 6 months ago

Why do mechanical engineers make fun of civil engineers?

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

It's just for fun. I don't believe that anyone really takes it seriously.

Also, mechanical engineers make weapons, civil engineers make targets.

• Adam D

Here, civil engineers make bank, while mechanical engineers make pizzas...

• mal g

I would suggest that they are not as 'civil' as the others.

For the very reason that practical working engineers make fun of all degreed engineers. They are idiot savants. Putting it on paper or a computer is very different from building or designing it with your hands and equipment. In order to understand you must practice what you preach.

Source(s): Experience

It is called Professional Courtesy.

Envy. Civil engineering demands field work. They get to go outside now and then.

Source(s): Was a mechanical and electronics manufacturing engineer
    • Joseph

Nonsense. I am a Mechanical Engineer and I am in the field 100% of the time. I have a desk in our main office which I use maybe an hour a month. Last week I came in in the office and someone else was using my desk to store his stuff.

• qrk

All engineering colleges make fun of each other. It's all in fun and nobody takes it seriously. I had friends in all the disciplines and we always joked around.

Our engineering college had fun picnic competitions (volleyball, softball, wheel barrow races, one-legged races, ...) between civil, electronics, & mechanical. It was interesting to see the generalizations between the groups.

Civil always lost and were the quietest.

Mechanical practiced, were very serious about winning, limited the number of gals playing, and usually came in second.

Electronics were goofballs, didn't care who was playing, couldn't give a hoot about outcome, and usually won. Of course, we had a dead ringer gal on our team who excelled in volleyball and softball. We had to put restrictions on her as nobody could return her serves or pitches and people got hurt.

That summed up our engineering college personalities many decades ago.

Draw your own conclusion.

For the same reason that electrical engineers make fun of mechanical engineers.

I'm sure there's a punchline there somewhere.