Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 8 months ago

Can a human outrun a black bear?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Usain Bolt has sprinted at up to 27 MPH. A black bear can do 35+ MPH.

That said, if a human can get enough a head start, bears don't have a great deal of endurance, and a human could outrun a bear.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

I play a game online where it's possible there just has to be a lot of trees around! In the game that is!

• 8 months ago

Most black bears are a lot faster than most humans. Thus the old joke "I don't have to outrun the bear, I have to outrun you".

• 8 months ago

Probably not, but it doesn't matter. All you have to do is run faster than the person with you.

If you happen to be alone? Ouch.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mokrie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

No you can't. Running makes them attack. It's best to back away very slowly.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

a human is slower than a black bear normally but I think being chased by one could add 20mph to your normal top speed

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Why specifically "black"?

A bear is a faster runner than a human, but to give you an advantage you'd need to run downhill. Naturally it seems safer to run uphill, but bears' front legs are shorter than their back legs and will find it easier to run uphill. Going downhill is better for a human, less tiring, and it impedes the bear's ability to run as fast because of its build.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

I thought so at first but some user on here corrected me, and I believe him. He told me that to run tells them to catch and kill you.

• 8 months ago

No. Bears are much faster than humans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.