Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 year ago

Can a human outrun a black bear?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Usain Bolt has sprinted at up to 27 MPH. A black bear can do 35+ MPH.

That said, if a human can get enough a head start, bears don't have a great deal of endurance, and a human could outrun a bear.

• 1 year ago

I play a game online where it's possible there just has to be a lot of trees around! In the game that is!

• 1 year ago

Most black bears are a lot faster than most humans. Thus the old joke "I don't have to outrun the bear, I have to outrun you".

• 1 year ago

Probably not, but it doesn't matter. All you have to do is run faster than the person with you.

If you happen to be alone? Ouch.

• mokrie
    1 year ago

No you can't. Running makes them attack. It's best to back away very slowly.

1 year ago

a human is slower than a black bear normally but I think being chased by one could add 20mph to your normal top speed

1 year ago

Why specifically "black"?

A bear is a faster runner than a human, but to give you an advantage you'd need to run downhill. Naturally it seems safer to run uphill, but bears' front legs are shorter than their back legs and will find it easier to run uphill. Going downhill is better for a human, less tiring, and it impedes the bear's ability to run as fast because of its build.

1 year ago

I thought so at first but some user on here corrected me, and I believe him. He told me that to run tells them to catch and kill you.

• 1 year ago

No. Bears are much faster than humans.