A asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Can l create a book subscription sit?

l watched a movie, where a author started an online series. Where people pay money for the next chapter when its written in a week. and l was wondering is that possible and would it be a good idea to start?

As Marli notes, Jullian Fellows was highly successful but couldn't make this work. Stephen King, another writer you may have heard of, also gave this a shot and could not make it work. Eventually he stopped, finishing the novel in the usual way and selling it. (IIRC, it became The Gunslinger, but I could be wrong about that.)

I know three writers online who are attempting such a thing and all three report subscriptions are dropping so much they're considering quitting.

yes l can create a book subscription sit?

I think you can do it through Patreon. Whether anyone will buy it is another matter.

You CAN. Whether anyone would be tempted to use it is a very different matter.

• Amber

Sorry but I have to agree with the other two. While it may be possible for an established writer to achieve this you're not that that level yet.

• Marli

Jullian Fellows, who wrote Downton Abbey, Gosford Park, Snobs and other works, wrote a chapter by chapter e-book called "Belgravia". One bought a chapter each month. I bought two chapters, then waited until the book was published as one e-book. I could not recall all that had happened in previous chapters when the new chapter was available, and the two I bought were separated in my Kindle book list. Most untidy.

I knew Fellows was a good writer because I loved the "Gosford Park" movie and "Downton Abbey". I don't think I'd buy another "chapter by chapter" series again, even by an author I admired. The poor wording of your question tells me you are not yet able to write a readable book.

Possible? Perhaps.

But as a consumer I'd be leery about giving up my money to a writer who is unestablished and has little or not credibility in the writing industry. Without knowing you can actually commit to a chapter a week I'm not likely to part with my hard-earned cash. If, however, you wrote consistently every week for say, a year, you might have enough of a following to consider monetizing. Until then, don't count on it.

ETA:

Looking through your questions and taking immediate note of your poor spelling and grammar there's no chance I'd spend my money. I want to read books and articles written by writers who are damn good at what they do, not amateurs who can't spell.