A asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Can l create a book subscription sit?

l watched a movie, where a author started an online series. Where people pay money for the next chapter when its written in a week. and l was wondering is that possible and would it be a good idea to start?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

As Marli notes, Jullian Fellows was highly successful but couldn't make this work. Stephen King, another writer you may have heard of, also gave this a shot and could not make it work. Eventually he stopped, finishing the novel in the usual way and selling it. (IIRC, it became The Gunslinger, but I could be wrong about that.)

I know three writers online who are attempting such a thing and all three report subscriptions are dropping so much they're considering quitting.

• 6 months ago

yes l can create a book subscription sit?

• 6 months ago

I think you can do it through Patreon. Whether anyone will buy it is another matter.

• 6 months ago

You CAN. Whether anyone would be tempted to use it is a very different matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Sorry but I have to agree with the other two. While it may be possible for an established writer to achieve this you're not that that level yet.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Jullian Fellows, who wrote Downton Abbey, Gosford Park, Snobs and other works, wrote a chapter by chapter e-book called "Belgravia". One bought a chapter each month. I bought two chapters, then waited until the book was published as one e-book. I could not recall all that had happened in previous chapters when the new chapter was available, and the two I bought were separated in my Kindle book list. Most untidy.

I knew Fellows was a good writer because I loved the "Gosford Park" movie and "Downton Abbey". I don't think I'd buy another "chapter by chapter" series again, even by an author I admired. The poor wording of your question tells me you are not yet able to write a readable book.

• 6 months ago

Possible? Perhaps.

But as a consumer I'd be leery about giving up my money to a writer who is unestablished and has little or not credibility in the writing industry. Without knowing you can actually commit to a chapter a week I'm not likely to part with my hard-earned cash. If, however, you wrote consistently every week for say, a year, you might have enough of a following to consider monetizing. Until then, don't count on it.

ETA:

Looking through your questions and taking immediate note of your poor spelling and grammar there's no chance I'd spend my money. I want to read books and articles written by writers who are damn good at what they do, not amateurs who can't spell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.