Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 6 months ago

Did you ever have a pet that lived old?

My dog died today at 15 years old.

I guess that’s pretty old, even though I had him my whole life it seems short.

How old were your pets?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

My common snapping turtle will be an estimated 60 this year. Yes, I know, estimation from size is iffy. He was caught during the summer of 1964 and given to me in 1965. At that time, I used the information gathered by Pell, assuming that the data for NY would be useful for mine (from CT). Pell found that they reached sexual maturity at 6-8 years, with a carapace 6-8" long. His was 7" at the time. On that basis, my turtle would be between 59 and 61 and the oldest ever recorded for that species.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Oldest ones were 18, 15 1/2 and 13 yrs old.

• 6 months ago

In January my 22 year, 7 month old cat passed away.

• 6 months ago

Back in early 80s, I had a desert tortoise for 13 years,,gave him to a friend when I moved and couldn't keep him.

Last I heard, he is doing just fine and that makes him a good 50 years old. May even outlive me.

• oikoσ
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Some turtles, anyway. Mostly the tortoises and the very large aquatic and marine ones.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I had a dog who lived to be 21.

• Angie
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Sorry for your loss. 15 is definitely old for a dog. The average lifespan for a dog is between 10-13 years. The time seems to go by fast with our pets. They grow up faster than we realize. They can certainly live longer than 15, but it is rare. My mother had a dog that lived to be 18. That's the oldest dog I have ever personally known.

• Casey
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I had a dog that lived to 15, a cat that lived to 13 and another dog that only lived to 5. She got cancer, unfortunately.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.