digis asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

English speakers, how do you call half-finished flat/apartment?

If the flat/apartment has windows and doors and bare walls, how do you call it? Maybe "half-finished" or "half-completed" to refer to the fact that the remaining portion of the interior (tiles, etc.) is the responsibility of the future owner? Or maybe a flat with a base-level finish? We use such adjective in our language but I cannot find an equivalent in English

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best Answer

I don't think there is such an adjective in English. "Half-finished" may make people wonder if you have even put up wallboard over the supporting joists and studs (all of that is American construction terminology); similar with 'half-completed'. So I would avoid those. But you will get questions in any case, and people will be asking what you mean about the state of the place...

Source(s): native AmE
    • John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Estate agents in Britain might say: "This flat is ready for you to furnish and decorate according to your taste" - or something similar. In over 60 years in Britain I have not come across "half-finished - to me it sounds as if the builder has no more money, and cannot finish building the flats!

• M.
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I am guessing that you are trying to say:

A partially furnished flat/apartment.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Unfinished would be the usual term. In construction it is often described as shell and core - ie external envelope, staircases and lifts etc but no internal walls, electrics or plumbing.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Half a job Harry is the term.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

What does "bare walls" mean to you? To most people it means walls without pictures hung on them?.English is getting by with no special word for an apartment without floor covering and pictures on the walls.

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

fully in need of work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.