What is the best route of becoming an astronaut?

I currently am a high school student and expect my grades to be somewhere between 88-92 percent in grade 11. I am considering taking the Air Force route but I foresee some problems. For instance, can a Canadian citizen apply to nasa? If not must I leave the Air Force and become an American citizen when nasa is recruiting? Should I just take the civilian route? Lastly, what major should I take. I am highly interested in astrophysics and mathematics but nasa does faver aerospace engineering?

Thanks for the help!

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

NASA won't take Canadians. Haven't you ever heard of the Canadian Space Agency? That's where Canadians have ended up on the ISS from, such as Chris Hadfield and others. Similarly, I'm British and anyone from here would apply to the European Space Agency. As Tim Peake did.

Engineering is always a plus because space is still not routine travel, and engineers will be able to fix things when they go wrong, but other skills are needed for the science experiments that get done on the ISS. Best to follow what you're best at and most love.

And how good are you at languages? For the moment, the only way of getting up there is in a Soyuz, which means learning Russian. This is not an easy language - 3 genders and 6 grammatical cases when English has only one of each, and it's not even written in the same alphabet. Tim Peake hated Russian lessons but ya gotta do it! At least until NASA's Space Launch System becomes a practical reality.

Achieve lots of Education and get a good friend at NASA

Source(s): Apupo !!

The shortest route is to build your own rocket, space cabin and launch yourself into space.

• Sharon

NASA has a CAREERS tab. Read it

• D g

your chances of getting to be an astronaut are slim make sure you do a carreer you love because only a few of the qualified people become astronauts

• Nyx

Have you even looked at the NASA requirements pages?

https://astronauts.nasa.gov/

And as with the others, you need to go through the Canadian Space Agency first.

http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/Default.asp

be a pilot in the US Navy or US Airforce

have a PhD in some aeorspace field

• Joseph

If you are a Canadian you will have to apply to the Canadian Space Agency which works closely with NASA. Over the years Canadian astronauts have flown on the Space Shuttle and have worked on the International Space Station. In fact, Expedition 59 crew, including a Canadian astronaut David Saint-Jacques, is returning to Earth today. Other Canadians who have flown in space are Roberta Lynn Bondar, Marc Garneau, Chris Hadfield, and Steve McLean, just to name a few; but then if you really want to be an astronaut you would know that already.

While the high performance aircraft flying experience was helpful when NASA needed pilots for the Space Shuttle, the scientific work carried out on the ISS, and whatever comes after it, favors more scientific background. You will need to get an advanced degree, PhD preferred, in engineering, (it doesn't necessarily have to be aerospace engineering) medicine and life sciences and be in the top percentile in all your classes.

Read biographies of astronauts from Canada, US, Europe and Japan to see what kind of academic credentials NASA and other space agencies are looking for.

You know, about one out of ten million people get picked for the NASA program.

i would talk to your guidance counselor or sorneone in nasa about it