Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Who's wrong? Unsocialized dogs at adoption events?

My daughter and I brought our dog to the pet store. Outside the doors was an adoption event. We approached and chatted with the staff and interacted with the dogs. However, there was a volunteer covering one dog's face with a packet of papers when we approached. She advised us we could chat with her and ask questions, but keep our dog away from hers. As my daughter went to grab a packet from her table, the dog growled and immediately nipped our dog before she could step back. The lady told us we were at fault for not keeping distance. I say she's at fault for not muzzling and bringing an unsocialized dog to an adoption event.

We went inside and reported this to the store manager. The manager then spoke with the adoption lady, only to ask us to leave because "our dog attacked hers" when in fact he did not.

IMO, if a dog isn't socialized with the public, it shouldn't be in this situation. Before I make a company complaint, who was at fault?

Update:

We did not bring our dog any closer. My kid went to grab something from her and the dog lunged. DS always looking to blame the asker smh

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You were both at fault; but she was more at fault. She INVITED YOU to talk to her & ask questions and she should not have done that (IMO) seeing that you had a dog and knowing she had a dog-aggressive, dog. That was putting the two in contact (BY HER DOING) after saying NOT to. (Sort of becoming an attractive nuisance - like a swimming pool) and you may have had no idea how far apart to stand, or assumed she could HOLD the dog better than she did.

2nd Issue: IMO, since she brought the dog to a multi-dog adoption event AT a PET SUPPLY STORE (where it is common for people to bring their pets.... her dog should have been muzzled or crated but NEVER allowed the opportunity to bite or lunge at any dog or frankly with THAT ATTITUDE or lack of socialization -OR it should not have been brought to a PET STORE AT ALL! (It was probably too stressful.)

3rd: if this went to court the store (name not mentioned for lawsuit reasons) could be SUED for NOT vetting all the dogs (as dog and people friendly) before allowing the group to set up.

What if this dog had missed (in going for YOUR dog) and bitten your CHILD INSTEAD? Or what if your child (or you) had reflexively tried to protect your dog and gotten bitten? Therefore I think you need to contact the RESCUE group & point this out, and indicate this is why they should NOT bring such a dog to any other pet store event and why the PET STORE should not allow any "dog-aggressive" dogs to be brought to their store, and they need to vet all dogs in advance or make sure the groups allowed to bring dogs in, know the dogs cannot BE dog aggressive, FROM NOW ON.

My local vet school has a day where it opens & a couple of kennel & agility clubs & police groups cone and set up tables. We try to have as many different breeds as possible from the dog clubs & give some obedience & agility demos. The police do not have a table but do have to search & rescue type scent work & some minor Schutzhund games set up for the crowd to see (including the dog scaling a 6 ft wall & of course, gloved/arm attack - on command biting). They tell you over & over and all groups must sign contracts..... that the dogs BROUGHT are dog & child SAFE.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Both but unsocialized dogs should not be at adoption events. You really should not bring your dog around other strange dogs under these circumstances. One of you should have kept your dog well away from the other dogs that are in cages.

• 6 months ago

I think that everyone should be concious that rescue dogs are “unknown” and her warning you even a little about this dog should have caused a prudent person to be on alert, especially about keeping their children in hand.

Rescue dog plus heightened stress of adoption event with the activity, strangers, other dogs, etc, is a recipe for a problem. I think ALL the adults in this situation should have behaved more ... adult.

• 6 months ago

WHY would you stupidly walk right up to dogs from a shelter with your dog? YOUR fault entirely.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

BOTH are wrong. YOU were told to stand back and did not.

The aggressive dog should not have been there.

YOU were warned and deliberated crossed the line to provoke a response

keep our dog away from hers. Which word did you have difficulty understanding?

In your opinion you are an idiot.

IMO you are a troublemaker just looking for places to stir up issues.

Will you be happy if they take the dog out and shoot it. Close down the animal shelter.

Maybe they just stop selling dogs in your area.

• 6 months ago

It sounds like you are right. This woman probably KNEW that her dog was not socialized and should not have had the dog at the adoption event!!!!! This is just my opinion from what I read.

Were there other people who witnessed this event?? If you can find these people, see what they saw and heard.

• 6 months ago

You are at fault.

She asked you to keep your dog away, yet you approached close enough for the dog to be able to nip at yours.

Its a rescue dog.. Of course its will be unsocialized. The way to fix that is to take the dog in public and work with the dog.

• 6 months ago

The lady DID warn you. You paid her no mind. That dog was probably just dog aggressive & needed to be in a home where there weren't any other animals. Trying to give the dog a good home. It should have been where it could not get to any other animal, the womans fault.

Both of you were at fault.

• 6 months ago

she was cause of what her dog did

Lv 7
    6 months ago

You're both wrong, IMO. They should not have brought a dog that's a danger to people or pets to an adoption event, and your daughter should have kept your dog away when you were told to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.