Jay asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

What's the best rice money can buy?

• james

The rice that grows in the mountains in spring fed fields above us. There are many types of rice. So what do you wish. California rice is good as a light fluffy rice, Jasamen for smell. Brackish water rice is sour. High mountain rice cost do to limited production. Some rice is high starch, some low mineral content. You just have to try till you find what you like. Not the same rice is used in all dish's.

Uncle Ben’s..........

I've developed a preference towards basmati, kokuho rose, and koshihikari, as well as forbidden rice and sticky rice, but there are a lot of varieties at the local Japanese and Chinese grocers that I've yet to use. Zatarain's and popcorn rice are also good for Cajun and Creole food.

If you are not in China, Japan or any East Asian country, forget about that.

the best rice money can buy

White rice I guess

I've had the world's most expensive rice, and trust me it was not worth the price. It was just white rice, maybe a little more creamy. Toyo Rice Corp's Kinmemai rice sold in Singapore is $50usd per pound apparently. The way it's farmed and things might be intriguing, but again it tastes like any white rice. I would invest in a high quality Jasmine rice from Thailand or a Basmati rice from India. Those have a lot more flavor and fragrance. Saudi Arabian hesawi red rice is also up there in cost, but I don't know anything about it because it's so rare.

• Olive

I always thought Minute rice is best kind but then again lot people say Uncle Ben is. Just depends on the person