Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 6 months ago

I m writing a book in eastern Washington what do I need to know about this area?

How do people dress?

How is the weather?

Are they rich or poor?

Do guys walk without shirts?

And other important things

• Foofa

It's largely high desert and has a lot of agriculture and such. But like anywhere else some are rich, some are poor and most are somewhere in between.

I've only been there, briefly, on one occasion. It was July 1982. Back then, from what little I saw, the area around Spokane looked like a grassland mixed with desert. I didn't think to notice the people.

If you don't know - don't write about it.

You're going to be a failure as a writer if this is going to be how you "research" for a story.

• Marli

Besides searching the internet (with Yahoo "search web" above or Google or one of the other search engines) see what is in your library under "Washington (State) - Description and travel" Dewey 917.95 or just plain "Washington (State)

The best thing is to go there, of course. Your questions about clothing and wealth seem strange. All places have rich, poor and levels in between. There are places where males must wear shirts and shoes (e.g. restaurants, stores, public buildings) and places where they can go shirtless (beaches, their backyards, their vehicles and their fields if they have fields.) just like in other parts of the US. Washington has mountains with glaciers. I would not climb them without wearing at least a shirt.

What is stopping you from doing your own research?

Writers are supposed to do this on their own. Yahoo does not count. If you want to be a writer get off of Yahoo and start doing your own research. Besides, eastern Washington can mean a number of places in that part of the state. Look at the state as whole and then narrow it down to a specific area and figure out what people are like from there.

• Steve

IF you're going to do a proper job, you should visit the area for a week and take notes.

Eastern Washington state is mostly mountainous. At times during the year (and in places) there can be six foot of snow on the ground. Spring comes late and while it does get warm enough to go with out a shirt, that is only for a couple of months of the year.

Because it has such a varied climate due to high elevations and distance from the equator much depends on the period of time needed to complete the story. "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" was set in eastern Oregon where the climate is very much the same.

Where ever one goes there are the rich and there are the poor.

What I would suggest is to do some research by reading books that cover real lives or fictional lives in the area.

rnaybe you should go visit the area and then you'll know what to write in your book