Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 months ago

Do you think a boy would be picked on if his name was Avery?

This name is mostly used by girls now. It only sounds masculine to me though.

Favorite Answer

No, Avery was used as a boy name. And as of now, it’s still used as a boy name. Although girls use the name more. It’s also a surname.

Maybe it is a very feminine name now

• Apogee

No. Avery is the French form of Alfred, it is masculine, sadly it was also a bnog, but that means BOYS names on girls, hopefully that silly fad is fading away and the boys can have their names back. The only Averys I know are guys...Morgans too for that matter.

• GEEGEE

Not at all, it's a nice choice

I would personally use Avery as a girls name.. however I know a teenager named Avery and about 3 younger boys named Avery and their name suits each of them very well! I feel as if it is still very much a unisex name and don’t think he would get made fun of :)

Depends where you live. In the UK it's very rare as a first name, I don't know any girls named Avery and it's pretty much just a surname. But if it's popular for girls where you live then I wouldn't use it (although I agree it's more masculine than feminine).

• blank

I actually do know a few males by the name Avery and no females.

I agree that it is better as a Male name.

It may work

• Jill

I doubt it. I think it's okay for either. It was originally a French surname meaning "ruling with elf-wisdom". Murphy Brown called her son Avery and there are plenty of famous Avery's that are men.

Avery is still fine for a boy; he won't necessarily be picked on for that

The meaning of names changes over time. So right now while something may be more feminine in 8-10yrs from now it may be different. It's never wise to pick a name based on current trends.

No my best friends name is Avery who I've known since I was 6 (I'm 18 now) was never picked on for his name