Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Bernie Sanders is proposing to cancel $1.6 trillion of student debt. Do you agree with cancelling student debt?

Favorite Answer

What he actually means is that he will force taxpayers (you know, those of us that work for a living) to pay the debt instead of the people that actually owe the money and signed the contracts.

He is pandering for votes, nothing more. Do you really think all those banks that are holding those notes are going to just let that money go? Not without a fight, and they have a few centuries of contract law on their side.

No, states like California, NY and others (that pay more to the feds than receive) will end up paying for Trump voters to go to college even though they failed out.

But if he does it, I say anyone that bought a new iPhone or went to the Fyre Festival is not eligible.

I agree but it will not happen.

They’re not “cancelling” it. It doesn’t disappear.

They’re using the state to steal the money from non-consenting people under threat of imprisonment to force them to pay for other people who borrowed it to benefit themselves, and now can’t or won’t pay it back.

So now ask the question and what is the answer?

Absolutely not. I paid my tuition for four degrees out of pocket. Why should I now pay for others?

Promises made during campaigns are more of an indication of what the person will try to accomplish- you know, like promising to build a border wall, or promising to put Hillary in jail. Anyone who takes them literally is an idiot.

No, I do not. Not at all.

Each person who borrowed money did so knowing the money had to be paid back. There is no rational reason to suddenly say they don't need to pay that money back while every other person who borrows money for other reasons does have to pay it back.

In addition, it is entirely unfair to people like two of our daughters who worked hard as did we to ensure they graduated debt free.

It is also entirely unfair to people like my husband who responsibly paid back the money he borrowed for school.

No. No way.

No. Money just doesn't appear, or disappear. He is buying votes because he can't earn them. RUN.

No I don't. It'll make the country a whole lot poorer. Everyone should pay their debts, no matter how poor or rich they are.

Nope. Why should we bail irresponsible millenials out?