I made an offer on house under the asking price.I was wondering how long do u normally have to wait for an answer. I made the offer a wk ago?

• ron h

if you used a RE agent to make the offer, ask how long your offer was good for. If the RE agent didn't put a time limit on the offer, he needs to notify the seller that you're no longer interested OR that the offer is only good until (some date). If the RE agent did not put a time limit on the offer, he's a bad agent

It's time to ask your real estate agent to find out when they will respond. Could be you made an offer while they were out of the country or otherwise disposed. If they are not responding in a timely manner, consider rescinding the offer, but do it in writing. If you have no real estate agent, you need to make the contact and find out what is going on.

• Judy

Usually a couple days , and normally the offer sets a limit on time.

How long did you make your offer good for? If you didn't state an expiration date, that is what's called an open-ended offer. Potentially, you can wait forever, or until you rescind your offer in writing.

I sold for 12 years. Never once did I write an open-ended offer for a buyer I was working with. I gave the seller no more than 48 hours to make a decision, and often, less.

If you have waited a week then I'd assume the answer is no. Possibly the owners are trying to negoitiate another offer and holding onto your in case the other one doesn't happen, or something. Anyhow, tell your agent to call up and ask but assume this is a no.

• Tavy

The owners could be away on holiday. Who did you contact about the offer?

Where I come from when we make an offer on a house we state the offer is only good for a certain amount of time. Why? We do this so the seller can't wait around for a better offer. The seller either has to reject the offer, make a counter-offer, or accept the bid immediately. Although it's different when making an offer on a bank owned property because that can take a super long time to get a response. Normal response time is the same as normal offer time before expiring. Where I live, 1-3 days (more often a day).

A week ago? Apparently your offer was so low the seller isn't countering. Your offer should have had a date for acceptance.

• ron h

If that's the case, the seller should have said "no, I won't sell at your price."

• R K

usually about three days. if it's been a week the offer was too low and they didn't

want to make a counter offer.

safe to say you didn't get it, unless a miracle happens. you would have heard something by now.