Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

When someone gets married, how do you congratulate them?

Do you say 'Congratulations on your wedding or marriage'????

18 Answers

Relevance
  • J-Dawn
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Either. You could also congratulate them on their nuptials.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You just say, congratulations, there is no need to say anything else, they know that they got married!

• 5 months ago

The wedding is only one day, a brief ceremony. If you congratulated them on their wedding it could sound as if you were approving their choice of venue, flowers, menu etc.

That's not what you mean. You should congratulate them not on the wedding but on their marriage.

It is fine to congratulate them both together, but if you're speaking to them individually, be aware that it's not traditional to congratulate the bride. You can congratulate her husband, but to the bride you say 'I wish you every happiness'.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i think either one is okay

• John P
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Better might be: "Congratulations on getting married".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

BUY A NICE GIFT WITH A BEAUTIFUL CARD AND U CAN HUG THEM AND TELL THEM TO BE HAPPY AND HAVE A GREAT HONEYMOON..

• tony
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

t;I wish you good luck..conveys a particular feeling of empathy, a way of expressing how happy you are that they are happy. When good things happen, we show appreciation for them because, one, it’s the polite thing to do (even if you don’t feel particularly excited or attached), . Finding someone to share your life with is an awesome thing. Congratulations to both of you.Congratulations! is just fine. Also, "I wish both of you much happiness together."

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Verbally, it's best to just say congratulations. If you need to tell them why you're congratulating, use marriage instead of wedding.

A wedding is usually the biggest day of a person's life, but when all is said and done, it's a party. A marriage is a much bigger deal.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Have a long but happy marriage.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Aww, Observer, did you take a joke seriously? LOL

• Observer
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Totally rude, better to just keep your mouth shut.

• 5 months ago

Either is fine. Or just 'congratulations', and they'll know what it's about.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.