Slower internet on 1 desktop and 1 laptop.?

So here's the deal. I upgraded to spectrum 400mb internet. My desktop has a Linksys AC1200, laptop has a AC600 and my other laptop is just regular built in wifi card. Im getting about 188 mb/s download across the board. The tech that just came out here said everything is good and clear, he even got a little over the 400 on his device. What is going on? Should I just go buy a router and see if that helps?

I’m currently using new WiFi USB adapters in the 3.0 slot. I’m just trying to figure out why he is able to get those speeds on his devices and mine are only a couple months old and can barely get half. He said it was something to do with settings on my computer.

First of all, that 400mbps is shared, meaning two devices, if the download was the same, would split that 400 into 200 for both devices for a total of 400. Second, wireless is not perfect, the further you get and the more things blocking direct line of sight, the slower your speed gets. Also, not all wireless adapters are equal, some may give you the full 400, while others can give you drastically less. Since you have wifi, you already have a router. The tech already tested that the router was giving you the full 400. If you are simply doing a speed test, get your laptop as close to your wireless router as possible and see if you don't get a higher download speed.

• P

Your average routers won't be able to max out a 400mb\s connection despite what they are theoretically capable of. The bare minimum I would recommend would be an AC1900, but I would try to go for even higher than that (AC2400+). Otherwise it depends on how the tech ran his test. If it was a wired test then it's definitely your wifi router, if he tested on the wireless, then your devices don't have the wireless capabilities to get to 400mb\s in a real life situation.

Regardless what's interesting about these 100mb\s plus internet packages people get is most people don't have the right equipment to use it and even when you do there's literally nothing that needs that kind of speed other than maybe BitTorrents up to a point. There is tech out there to get gigabit speeds over wifi, but you will need some beastly equipment to achieve that consistently.

The router is not your problem friend the problem is that you have one desktop and 1 laptop that has an older Wi-Fi card in it and can't receive the wi-fi at the same speed as some of the other devices can. Bring the laptop that's slow closer to the Wi-Fi and see if it speeds up if it does then what you need is a range extender. if it does not speed up you'll know that it simply has a slow Wi-Fi card in it that needs to be replaced with a modern Wi-Fi card

YOUR COMPUTER IS OLD AND SLOW!!!!! TOSS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AJ

Why wouldn't you already have a router. But what modem are you using? if you do have a router what is it?

Also, wifi will always be slower than direct cable connection.