If my sister goes on a two week road trip with my husband and me, should she pay half the cost of the hotel and rental car...?

Or just 1/3 since she's single?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Why should she pay 1/2 of the rental car? That makes absolutely no sense. 3 people are renting the car, so 3 should split the cost. For the hotel room, there might be an argument if you take about beds (2 people in 1 bed, and 1 in the other) but still, 1/3 is reasonable. Do you really think your sister should pay for half of the meals and things.

As another poster stated, make sure you work out the details BEFORE. It sounds like your husband has some issues (you commented that you think it should be 1/3, I don't think your sister thinks it should be more than 1/3 so that only leaves your husband) and obviously need to be part of this discussion.

• james
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

1/3rd on most. You might want meals separate some spend more than others on food or like a different food. So each there pay for there own.

• 6 months ago

She should pay half the hotel assuming you have two rooms and 1/3 of the car.

• A C
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

1/3 ( 15 characters)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Do you consider you and your husband one person? Why would you not all pay your equal share? If she were married about brought someone along would you expect you and your husband to only pay 1/4?

The only part where it would matter is if there is an extra hotel room needed in which case she owes for her own room.

• 6 months ago

Depends how CHEAP you are.

Do you expect your spouse to have a free ride and sleep?

What would it cost YOU if sister did not tag along.

Sharing a room? The extra fee for an Adult is a few dollars.

The cost of car rental is the same if sister there or not.

The cost of gas goes up about 5% for hauling the extra weight.

How about meals do you each pay your own or do expect sis to pay half the bill too.

How about that stop of interest.Does one pay for all three to go in. Each pays their own entrance or what?

Suggest you come up with something you all agree to BEFORE you go away.

Do you want sister to cover her extra costs or to subsidize your road trip too?

Is sister doing some of the driving?

Are you planing to be attached at the hip 24/7 doing EVERYTHING together or will you each go off to do things by yourself at times.

So snacks in the car during the drive. Are you going to count the peanuts, the swallows of beverage, the minutes each drove.

Come up with something agreeable to all or you will have a long time of bitter feelings by someone that felt cheated or gouged on their share of expenses.

There is no LAW .

HALF is not reasonable as this extra person does not double the expenses to go.

For two weeks you might want the occasional separate rooms.for some private cuddle time.

As this would be an extra expense for SIS let her know in advance so she can budget for it.

By asking for half it appears you and your spouse cannot afford to do this trip without the support of sis.

As long as sister covers the added expenses of herself that is enough.

• John
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Trying to screw your own sister. Must be alt-right, I'm guessing.

• Just for the record, I think she should pay 1/3! I prefer to pay more since she is not bringing a boyfriend and also since she doesn’t have as much money as we do!

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

1/3 of course...you1/3 and your husband 1/3.

• 6 months ago

1/3 each appears fair to all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.