Bobby asked in PetsReptiles · 5 months ago

Is there a kid-friendly gecko or reptile that doesn't grow large and is vegetarian?

This kid doesn't have the space for a large terrarium nor the means to feed it with bugs in winter.

• Ryan

You can do a Uromastyx they are vegietarian. They don't get big but need to be kept very very warm. With a proper setup they are awesome lizards.

As a reptile owner myself, not any small vegetarian reptiles I can think of. I’d suggest green or brown anoles, which can eat crickets, mealworms, and dried bugs. I’ve owned them before, and they make decent pets once they get used to you. A few of em are jumpy, or could bite (in self defense, like any other frightened animal) but it doesn’t hurt or draw blood unless you’ve got a huge male (which is unlikely). At the moment I own 2 leopard geckos, and they each live in their own 20 gallon tank. Very sweet animals usually, and get up to a foot long when fully grown. The only downside is weekly trips to get crickets for ‘em. I feed mine 10 crickets every 3-4 days.

• Ocimom

Anoles don't grow big and you can feed it meal worms in the winter. It does require a more meat diet.

• Thea

A Crested gecko would be suitable. They can feed exclusively on a commercial powdered diet that is mixed with water, although live insects can be offered occasionally. An adult would need a 20 gallon tank at least. Cresties tolerate handling fairly well.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizard...

Sadly, all the vegetarian reptiles are generally the larger like iguana. and means a larger cage.

All of the geckos and dragons are mostly insectivores with some vegies for supplements.

Very few lizards or geckos are aggressive or may bite significantly and great for older children.

As for feeder insects, some keepers breed their own insects for food, might be an alternative for you.

Smaller geckos for pets are often the common house geckos, the fence lizards don't get too big.

The only herbivore lizard I kept was the chuckwala, a desert iguana, but get to near 18 inches.

A 140 gallon tank, I thought a bit small.

• PAMELA

No, so go without it, if you want a vegan pet try a rabbit or a budgie.

Most geckos and lizards eat bugs at the very least. They can have some veggies, but they also need protein in their diet just like every other living thing.

Two of the most tame, loving and gentle reptiles that come to mind are:

Leopard Gecko

Bearded Dragon Lizard

Both reptiles thrive on communication, meaning you can't buy just 1. They can die of loneliness and bordem, you need at least 2 of them so that they have someone else other than a log and a heat lamp all alone.

there is lots of information about this on line but from what I could see, most do get to be quite large.

Google herbivore reptiles and see what you find.