Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 6 months ago

Can you use table salt for a dishwasher?

Update:

I mean using table salt as a makeshift substitute for granulated dishwasher salt just until I get the chance to buy the original product.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't. Granulated salt is cheap and readily available at all supermarkets. Table salt may clog up the system. I wouldn't risk my machine. I love it too much.

• Name Withheld
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

DIttos - without the correct product, I'd just rinse the dishes in the sink and run them through a cycle in the dishwasher without anything but hot water - the drying cycle will sterilize.

• 6 months ago

If you mean substituting table salt for dish washing detergent, no.

Consider the prices. If using salt worked, no one would buy detergent, so there would be no detergent to buy.

• Roger the Mole
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

The sense of the question was: Can you substitute salt for detergent? That has nothing to do with making the water softer.

• 6 months ago

Dishwasher .....

What would be the point? Salt dissolved in water is not a cleaning agent. If it survives the rinse cycle there may be a thin deposit of NaCl on all the contents.

• 6 months ago

Never heard of using salt in a dishwasher - someone please enlighten me !

• STEPHEN3 months agoReport

High end dishwashers have a water softener built in. Like home water softners it uses salt to soften the water through and ion exchanger.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • GTB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Table salt is not a dish washing detergent.

• STEPHEN3 months agoReport

High end dishwashers have a water softener built in. Like home water softners it uses salt to soften the water through and ion exchanger.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.