Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 6 months ago

How fast can a kid year old ride a bike?

...like a 10 year old? If it's a long distance their speed would slow some...so on average how fast like in a race?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There's a very simple way to know; buy a cheap bicycle computer and put it on their bike. You didn't say if this is a boy or a girl you're talking about. Chances are many parents don't understand bicycle sizing and will buy the kid a department store bicycle. For most 10 yo boys the bike will be a BMX with 20" wheels and a 2.5:1gear ratio at best or it'll be a mountain bike with 24" wheels and at best a 44:14 gear ratio for the highest gear. For most 10 yo girl chances are it'll be a single speed 2.5:1 gear ratio at best or 3 speed igh cruiser with either 20" or 24" wheels. Here I'm giving calculations based on level ground, no wind speed, highest gear ratio and a crank rpm of 70 for average speed and 90 for top speed.

Girls on a 3 speed igh

24" wheels top speed 17 mph; average speed 13 mph.

20" wheels top speed 14 mph; average speed 11mph

Girls on a single speed cruiser 2.5:1 gear ratio

24" wheels top speed 16 mph; average speed 12 mph.

20" wheels top speed 13 mph; average speed 10 mph.

Boys mountain bike 44:14 gear ratio.

24" wheels top speed 20 mph; average speed 15 mph.

Boys on a BMX 2.5:1 gear ratio

20" wheels top speed 13 mph; average speed 10 mph.

• Land Rider Jerry
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

The averages were based on the highest gear ratio when multiple gears are available. Over 6 miles the average speed would probably be about 2/3 of my calculations at best.

• 6 months ago

How fast can a child ride a bike? There is no objective answer to this question. My 6 year old grandson is easily able to ride 30 kilometres.His older brother could do the same at that age. If you are writing a novel, you can choose the ability of the character you are writing about. My grandsons may be exceptional, but they are not unique. You can frame this character however you want, but a 10 year old riding 6 miles is not an unusual achievement. Under duress riding time can be much faster than normal riding

• 6 months ago

My son did a 65 mile bike ride with me when he was 9, riding a Kona Jake 24 cyclocross kids bike. He averaged 14 miles per hour.

• Todd
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

For long distance, I'd say they could average 9 mph. For a century ride, that's about 11 hours or so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • D50
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

A kid who's a strong rider on a good bike could keep up with most grownups easily.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I've matched speeds with 10 year olds reaching 15 - 17 mph in short bursts.

A big factor is their bike. Many smaller children's bikes are pretty poor quality. Practiced young riders on good quality bikes (Islabikes, etc) can get up to quite a speed.

• 6 months ago

1. What type of bicycle? Road bike, mountain bike, beach cruiser, hybrid bike – what?

2. Terrain? Off road, on a paved surface, a little or both – what?

3. Wind speed & direction? Even a mild 5 mph headwind can slow a cyclist down. Conversely, a 5 mph tailwind can add a couple of mph.

4. How active or athletic is this “10 yr. old kid”? If it’s your everyday, run-of-the-mill, couch potato, video game playing kid…not very fast.

5. On the other hand, I’ve seen kids get into races called criterium or “crit races” sanctioned by USA Cycling that could kick butt.

In short, there are too many variables. The average speed of most cyclists is only about 10 mph. You may as well ask, “How fast can a 10 year old kid throw a baseball?”

• Mtrlpqbiker
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The "kid" is a character in a piece of fiction. The range of abilities for children of that age is enormous. A 10 year old child could easily ride 6 miles under duress at speeds that might shame a professional cyclists

• Lv 7
    6 months ago

it varies from kid to kid. some naturally have more energy than others. also, some kids are just averse to activities, especially outdoor ones.

i was one of those kids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.