Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

When moving out of apartment, what's bare minimum for cleaning and...?

What's going above and beyond? My renters history is very good, with no damages in the last 4 apartments I've lived in, aside from the normal wear and tear. I got really lucky with my last apartment, as they were gutting the whole thing anyway and told us to just leave everything as is.

Well, I'm expecting trouble with this one. We plan to scrub every surface, patch up all holes, bleach and clean the bathrooms, but what is considered too much? And I know that just leaving it would be a nightmare, but it's not that bad (I cleaned this place top to bottom every week).

Also, the carpet was already a disaster when we moved in, not new or even cleaned. I have pictures when we moved in proving this and the lady doing our walk through admitted this. I don't want to spend the money or make the effort on the carpet when we shouldn't have to.

Favorite Answer

The rule is that it should look the way it did when you moved in, except for normal wear and tear.

Source(s): I'm a landlord
  • 28AKO

Leave it just like it was when u moved in. That's u if u want to spend your own money fixing someone else place up and getting nothing out of it

• Maxi

Clean and take photos and check the photos are all showing what you want to show....... clean the 'old carpet' as time spent doing that will be far cheaper than the amount of deposit they take for a 'professional clean' they will charge you for

• Jay

If you have pictures of what it looked like when you moved in...what is looks like moving out should match those pictures..

So fix nail holes...and if you painted a room neon orange...paint it while before you move out.

What you outlined in your question should be fine. They may charge you for cleaning no matter what you do but take pictures and you could have to go to court if they aren't being reasonable.

• DEBS

You should leave the unit in the same or better condition than when you arrived (less wear and tear).

• Murzy

Broom clean it and take pictures of everything.

You're assuming there is some known standard. There isn't. This is up to the landlord. Some are reasonable and accept that part of thier cost of doing business is to have apartments professionally cleaned between tenants. Some will take the cleaning/security deposit regardless of whether the renter cleans everything perfectly.

You are correct that as long has you didn't spill anything on the carpet, simply vacuuming is what is normally appropriate. However, you really should ask the manager or landlord what they expect or just don't bother cleaning at all and give up your deposit instead.