What do you think of deliberately spacing babies only 13 months apart?

So that mom can take a long break from work.

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

Unless there is some VERY pressing reason to have children that closely spaced (like a major health issue which means you need to have a hysterectomy ASAP) the downsides to close spacing are enormous.

It's very hard on your body to be pregnant again so soon. It's very hard to be dealing with the physical stresses of early pregnancy (morning sickness, etc.) while ALSO still caring for a young infant who is probably still nursing at night.

While some women are able to breastfeed through pregnancy, many find it physically very difficult -- and milk supply often drops, so the older baby would need to be supplemented with formula.

The standard medical recommendation is to allow at least a full year between pregnancies after an uncomplicated vaginal delivery -- and longer after a c-section or complicated pregnancy/delivery. This is for sound medical reasons.

use birth control **** or get an abortion

• edward

Eventually they’re going to want a car and 12 months isn’t usually enough time to save for another one

It's not something I would do.

If someone else chooses to do so, that's their business and none of mine.

• alexis

I have twin toddlers. I love them to death, but I'd never voluntarily have more than one toddler walking around at a time and only being a year apart, you'll have two toddlers. Worse yet, at least my sons go through their phases together. You'll exit teething with one and enter teething with the other. Toddlers don't understand or care that you will have a newborn to take care of and that can be VERY stressful on top of a newborn already. I don't know why people do that to themselves but to each their own.

There have been a lot of statistical studies showing infant mortality and birth defect rates are a lot higher if babies are spaced less then two years apart. If you have access to high-end healthcare and a pressing reason to rush (like a biological clock issue) I can understand making exceptions to this guideline. However, this is something the young and under-insured should avoid.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/getti...

• God

A little short. I think 3 years is about ideal.

• Jose

To each his/her own

A little close, but spacing deliberately is a good idea. My grandkids are spaced 2-3 years apart. So not all of them are in college at the same time. And the parents are gradually emptying their nest and not all at once.

I think nothing of it.

When other families and mother nature decide reproduction should occur, that's their business, not mine.

If you have them close together, you don't sleep for three years. If you space them out, you have daycare and diapers for a decade. Pros/cons. There is more than one way to do things.

• Carson

In the pre PC times they were called Irish twins.

If that's what you want, then do it.

Most ppl wait until the first is getting out of the terrible 2s so they won't be so willing to commit infanticide from lack of sleep

• Tri-Harder

"Irish Twins" are less than a year apart. Thirteen months is more than a year. And knowing it's a derogatory term has nothing to do with PC.