What do you think of deliberately spacing babies only 13 months apart?

Update:

So that mom can take a long break from work.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless there is some VERY pressing reason to have children that closely spaced (like a major health issue which means you need to have a hysterectomy ASAP) the downsides to close spacing are enormous.

It's very hard on your body to be pregnant again so soon. It's very hard to be dealing with the physical stresses of early pregnancy (morning sickness, etc.) while ALSO still caring for a young infant who is probably still nursing at night.

While some women are able to breastfeed through pregnancy, many find it physically very difficult -- and milk supply often drops, so the older baby would need to be supplemented with formula.

The standard medical recommendation is to allow at least a full year between pregnancies after an uncomplicated vaginal delivery -- and longer after a c-section or complicated pregnancy/delivery. This is for sound medical reasons.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

use birth control **** or get an abortion

• edward
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Eventually they’re going to want a car and 12 months isn’t usually enough time to save for another one

• 6 months ago

It's not something I would do.

If someone else chooses to do so, that's their business and none of mine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • alexis
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

I have twin toddlers. I love them to death, but I'd never voluntarily have more than one toddler walking around at a time and only being a year apart, you'll have two toddlers. Worse yet, at least my sons go through their phases together. You'll exit teething with one and enter teething with the other. Toddlers don't understand or care that you will have a newborn to take care of and that can be VERY stressful on top of a newborn already. I don't know why people do that to themselves but to each their own.

• 6 months ago

There have been a lot of statistical studies showing infant mortality and birth defect rates are a lot higher if babies are spaced less then two years apart. If you have access to high-end healthcare and a pressing reason to rush (like a biological clock issue) I can understand making exceptions to this guideline. However, this is something the young and under-insured should avoid.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/getti...

• God
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A little short. I think 3 years is about ideal.

• Jose
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

To each his/her own

• 6 months ago

A little close, but spacing deliberately is a good idea. My grandkids are spaced 2-3 years apart. So not all of them are in college at the same time. And the parents are gradually emptying their nest and not all at once.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I think nothing of it.

When other families and mother nature decide reproduction should occur, that's their business, not mine.

If you have them close together, you don't sleep for three years. If you space them out, you have daycare and diapers for a decade. Pros/cons. There is more than one way to do things.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

In the pre PC times they were called Irish twins.

If that's what you want, then do it.

Most ppl wait until the first is getting out of the terrible 2s so they won't be so willing to commit infanticide from lack of sleep

• Tri-Harder
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

"Irish Twins" are less than a year apart. Thirteen months is more than a year. And knowing it's a derogatory term has nothing to do with PC.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.