How do I repaint my front door?

My front door is a double door with glass panels taking up half of the top. It is painted a dark brown colour and is very chipped. There is a noticeable different in thickness between paint still on the door and where I can just see wood. Do I have to completely strip all the old paint down or can I just sand it. I feel like if I just paint over it you will be able to see where the paint had chipped before. Help please!! I also have a primer

• olivia

If you brush a new coat over an old paint job, it will result in a sloppy-looking finish. To get a smooth working surface, scrape off any peeling pieces and sand down the old paint until the surface of the door feels even all over. Start with a medium 120-grit piece of sandpaper, and then work your way up to 220 grit.

call a paint mistry ,

optimum,have the door taken off bring it to a stripping place who will immerse it in chems,leaving it bare but likely with chinks & chunks & gouges,

after stripping back at the house,lay it on a sturdy table,use a belt sander to smooth out every surface,a rechargeable B & D hand sander with a triangle

buzzing scraper on the end,this gets the grooves & decorative chiseled wood art work all clean,,fill holes & gouges with powered wood putty,

( we assume you are going to paint it)

smooth out the putty spots with grain of sand paper to match the surfaces

as we have an outside door,use oil primer,on it, getting all edges make sure the door fits snug at hanging,reinstall door hardware too,mount in the frame,knock the hinges into place before repainting,let the door dry & set for a couple days,then the top coat.

a measure short of all this would be to use a heat scraper to peel off the high spots,sand the bumps,prime & paint with the door in place.

Take the door off of the hinges by removing the hinge pins. Working on a door while it is horizontally laid across two saw horses is the best way to sand or strip it, followed by painting.

You can choose to either strip the door, or sand it. Once that is completed, prime the door, followed by two to three coats of outdoor paint. Be sure to paint all six sides (front, back, top edge, left and right side edges and the bottom edge). By painting all surfaces, you are sealing the wood and preventing swelling, which makes a door stick.

The below link can educate you on how to do the job the right way:

I would strip it. You can now get some very effective paint strippers that are not as toxic and safer to use. You will then have a very good base to make the door look very good.

• chris

You "should" strip it, but I would avoid the caustic chemicals if possible.

If it's an old door, it could have oil or lead based paint on it and not all chemical strippers work well with all types of paint.

Get a heat gun and a scraper for taking off the heavy layers! Then ware a mask and sand smooth.

• Gert

To do it right, you need to sand it off.

if you want a professional appearance [and selling the house will need one], yes -- you'll have to strip the old paint off it first. The way to do this is horizontally on sawhorses, not with the door installed.

After you've stripped it [probably twice at least] LOOK at the wood. What will make it really stand out? might be stain, not paint.

Source(s): grampa

Wood in that Kind or shape should be scraped and sanded at minimum before painting. Best results will be obtained by stripping all the old paint off first.