Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 6 months ago

What are traditional Australian foods?

I have an exchange student here (in Australia) for a few months, and I’m introducing her to traditional Australian foods. I’ve tackled the big things, vegemite and Tim tams, but I know there are other Australian foods that I will forget. I remembered fairy bread, meat pies, and Lamingtons, but are there any other foods I am forgetting? Thanks!

• james

Crock on a stick. These must be 8 foot or longer & hand caught. Skinless Roo. Must be ran down on foot. Tackled & skinned, Shark at hand, Must be dragged ashore by tail only, Brush roasted snake a midnight special, You reach under rocks & drag the snake out. To roast. Many a Australian has told me of these fine foods they eat there. They brag on them often.

• Mark

Palova, pikelets (what are called "silver dollar pancakes" in North America), Anzac biscuits, lamb.

• Walt

they it wild game meat

Put another shrimp on the barbie?

A typical Aussie barbecue is with sausages, burgers, steak, fresh seafood, bread, and tomato or barbecue sauce, they sometimes include salad but it's mainly about the meat and fish (and of course a few stubbies – that's beer to the non-Australians).

Fries with that? .

• C

I thought it was like the law that you have to make a damper bread or she can't go home? You've no idea how weirdly exotic zucchini slice is outside Australia and New Zealand. For something interesting that's not grubs try to get ahold of bunya nuts. This recipe has both bunya nuts and wattle seeds, so that's two in one. Not traditional, but new food with native species:

https://theresnofood.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/buny...

You won't get Cherry Ripe anywhere else either. Timtams come and go in the UK. I don't know why. They've been gone for a while. When I was a student we used to bite the ends off and use them like a giant straw to suck red wine, which I am definitely not at all suggesting you try.

Source(s): I somehow acquired an Aussie and agreed that vegemite would be stocked at all times. Still not sure how that happened....

These are the most common foods used in Australia.

• Witchetty grubs.......

Kangaroo and Aborigine