Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 6 months ago

Can I get housing benefit if I’m paying rent at my nans to her and not working ?

I’ve just had a baby and my nans letting me stay with her however she wants £300 a month towards the bills and I can’t afford that could I get housing benefit if I get a written letter from her ?

Wrong category.

I'm afraid not. Ask the kid's father for money and get yourself back to work . That way you can afford a place of your own instead of expecting the taxpayer to pay for one for you.

Highly unlikely, given you are living with a family member. She would be expected to support you. I once rented a house to my brother and he was paying me rent. When he lost his job, he tried to claim for Housing Benefit - but because his landlord was his sister, he didn't qualify and I ended up having no rental income for 4 months. Secondly, Housing Benefit is for rent - not bills - and you would need an official tenancy agreement etc to claim.

I suggest you contact Citizen's Advice to see what you can or can't claim. The baby daddy will also be expected to contribute towards the cost of this baby.

• alan P

I don't think you can get housing benefit when living with a family member

• alan P

The questioner's nan could call it rent but that won't help. £300/month for a room, utilities and maybe food as well doesn't sound like a lot.

No, you can only get this if you own your own house