When applying for an apartment, what should you put for your current residence in this situation?

Lomg story short, my girlfriend moved in with me after not getting along with her previous roommates at a different house at the end of her lease. She has been staying with me for 4 months in my apartment, but was never put on the lease. We are now trying to get a new apartment, but what should we put for current residence considering she is not on the lease in my apartment? Wouldn't it be strange and questionable to have a 4 month gap for most recent residence in your application? If I told them I let her live with me 4 months without being on a lease, wouldn't the new apartment I am trying to get not trust me?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Gert
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Your address is the only one she has.

• 5 months ago

You put where you live now. You don't need to mention that she wasn't on the lease unless they ask.

• 5 months ago

This was your screw up for having an illegal unauthorized tenant. Do not lie & do not leave it off. She needs to be honest & put that she has been living with you. YES you will be caught in your lie & caught violating your lease. You should have thought of that before she illegally moved in.

You lie or leave it off and it can be found out. Lying on the application is immediate denial with most landlords.

There is no such thing as a primary or secondary on a lease. All tenants on the same lease are equals. Most landlords require all adults be screened & on the lease so getting the lease in just your name is not typically an option.

• 5 months ago

Can she say she's been with parents?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Was she allowed to stay with you for those 4 months - ie did the landlord know about it and apparently not care. If she was allowed to stay there (per the landlord) then I'd put your address down. If she was not allwoed to be there (and the landlord will thus give a bad reference) then I'd put down her prior address where she was on the lease, even though she wasn't there.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The address she lived at prior, which is yours....everyone who lives at any address is not always required to sign the contract, if rental then the landlord just needs to be informed and /or you need to get their permission

• 5 months ago

Still that address, even if not on lease.

• 28AKO
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

All that is unnecessary! You only need to lease yourself as being the primary lease holder and your girlfriend in going to be secondary on lease meaning a tenant. Your income would only be considered and credit to get approved for new place. Just put your current address, they want care where she last stayed

• 5 months ago

If she is to be named on the lease then surely she just names the last address at which she was. Landlords and their agents aren't trying to get a storyline of your life, but check your reliability as a tenant in paying your rent. If, for any reason, they need to know where she was in the ensuing four months, they can ask, surely?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.