how to get ex friend to deposit rent check?

i decided to room with a friend last year in college. things did not go so well and now we are not exactly friends. i payed her my last rent check on June 2nd, and she still has not deposited it, and i assume it is because we are not on good terms and she is being spiteful. i have asked her to deposit the check three times now, and she still has yet to do so. what can i do? how can i get her to actually deposit the money that’s sitting in my account?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

She has the check and you took the money out in your record book, so what is your problem> Your making a mountain out of a grain of sand. Try growing up!

• 6 months ago

Nothing you can do. You cannot force her to deposit it. A check can be cashed for 6 mo - 1 yr in most areas. All you can do is keep the money int your account so the check does not bounce when she does cash it.

DO NOT stop payment on the check!

So what if the money is hanging out in your account?!! It is not hurting anything.

• 6 months ago

She's going to deposit it eventually. Just don't spend it.. pretend it's not in your account.

• 6 months ago

A check is good for 6-12 months depending on your bank's policy, unless your check has a printed validity period on it such as 90 days.

- I've never seen a personal check that lists this.

She can cash it when she cashes it. Do you need help monitoring your bank balance with an outstanding check on it? Learn to use a bank register.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Cancel it with your bank and write a new one and deposit it yourself

• 6 months ago

whats the problem? 1st of all rent needs to be PAID, if you can't spell such a simple word, time to drop out of college.

so what if the money is sitting in your account?

was 'friend' acting as your landlord? or were you on the lease with the owner. if you are concerned the owner isn't getting paid, contact them and ask. if they have not been paid, put a stop payment on the check to 'friend' and pay the owner directly.

YES YOU SHOULD STOP PAYMENT IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE OWNER DIRECTLY INSTEAD....if owner is not getting paid, you will get a court ordered eviction on your record....

• 6 months ago

You can't force her. She obviously will need the money eventually.

• 28AKO
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I would just put a stop on the check or ask the bank to do a check trace to see if the actually money has been deposited and used to pay rent. If not, stop check and go pay it yourself. (2 easy)

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Cancel the check and do the deposit your self into the account by going to the bank or electronically

• Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I wish people would spite me like that.

Who cares? Sit back and if she never deposits it, its yours.

I like my money earning interest for as long as possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.