do I need an electrician?

I changed 3 out of 4 lightbulbs on my ceiling fan. I used LED bulbs equivalent to 60 watts. Suddenly one day the LED bulbs dimmed to almost nothing and the regular bulb burned out. This light is on a dimmer switch. Do I need an electrician or do I need a new light kit? Also, was this caused by using LED bulbs equalavent to 60 watts?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tj
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It could be your dimmer switch.

• olivia
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I think you buy new LED Lights

• 6 months ago

You need to change all the bulbs to dimmable LED bulbs.

• y
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

LED's as others have said, have special bulbs that can work on dimmers, there are also special dimmers that are made to work on LED bulbs, can't just mix and match, throw any old proper wattage bulb in now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

LED bulbs come in types that are ok for dimmers and the cheaper ones that aren't. My guess is you installed the cheaper ones. And use all LEDs, not some of each

Source(s): grampa
  • 6 months ago

Sounds like a switch problem if they all went at the same time.

• paul h
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Possibly the dimmer switch needs to be changed to one that is compatible with LED bulbs or you may need to look for special "dimmable" LED bulbs.. That may require an electrician to install a new switch if you lack the skills to do so. LED's work at much lower voltages than regular bulbs and dimmer switches change light output by altering/lowering voltage to the bulbs.They create added resistance in the circuit based on the setting of brightness and excess heat from that is generated at the switch which is why they have extra cooling fins on the switches and limited in how many watts in total they can handle. So LED's are much more sensitive to lowered voltages than regular bulbs when using a dimmer which can shorten their lifespan or affect the light output if a wrong, non-compatible dimmer switch is used. You may need to consult the manufacturer of the LED's to see which dimmers they recommend that are compatible with them or bulbs that are dimmable. Dimmed LED's are still undergoing some testing and compatibility issues so you may need to switch back to regular incandescent bulbs if you still have ongoing issues with LED's and dimmers. I've had a few customers that had to do that or change to non-dimmed LED lights using a standard on-off switch. Google "LED lights" and "dimmer switch" for more info on the issues.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dimmable+led+light...

• 6 months ago

Are your LED bulbs dimmable? They may be or may not be. You should NOT use a non-dimmable lamp in a dimmable circuit as it may cause damage to the lamp and or circuit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.